Waterfall French Braid Updo features a waterfall and french braid on the right side, a fishtail french braid on the left, all wrapped together into a chic low bun. I am always feeling inspired by so many new hairstyles and love playing around with different ideas. This hairstyle was exactly that but I love the result and think it would look perfect for a dance, special occasion, or really just to wear to the office if you’re feeling up to it.
Combining waterfall braids and french braids is definitely my new favorite passion, probably obvious from this tutorial, this one, and even this one too! Follow along below and recreate this look at home!
Waterfall French Braid Updo Tutorial
- With a deep side part, take a section of hair at the back of the crown and gently back comb the hair down to create volume.
- Next, separate a section of hair from the part down to the left ear.
- Pin this out of the way with an alligator clip.
- Now take a section of hair, on the heavy side of the part, divide it into three sections for the waterfall braid.
- Cross the front strand over the middle, then cross the back strand over the middle.
- Drop down the front strand and bring in a section of hair from behind it, adding it in its place.
- Cross the back strand over the middle and bring in a section of hair, adding it into the strand.
- Repeat steps 6 and 7 until the braid reaches the left side of the nape of the neck.
- Braid the hair down into a regular braid and tie off the end with an elastic band.
- Now create a french braid with the waterfall strands, so take a section of hair on the right side, near the face and divide it into three pieces.
- Cross the bottom strand over the middle then the top strand (the waterfall piece) over the middle.
- Cross the bottom over and bring in a section.
- Cross the top strand over and bring in a waterfal piece.
- Continue braiding down in a regular french braid until all the hair is braided, finishing on the left side at the nape of the neck.
- Grab a clear elastic band and wrap the hair through it.
- Wrap the band a second time but don’t pull the hair all the way through.
- Pull on pieces of the bun and secure them against the head creating a piecey style bun.
- Gently pull on the waterfall french braid so the braid is more dramatic.
- Now create a fishtail braid on the left side where the hair was separated out in step 2.
- Wrap the braid over the bun and pin down the end.