This Fancy Fishtail Braid Updo was inspired by the Fancy French Braid Updo. I’ve received a few requests lately for prom and bridal inspired styles. I like to put my own spin on them though and think this would be perfect for any special occasion. This starts as a fishtail french braid but large portions are hair are brought into the braid to give a soft loose style. It looks a lot more intricate than it actually is and I think with a bit of practice can be easily mastered. Wherever you decide to wear it, you will definitely look fabulous.
Check out these other prom and bridal inspired hairstyles:
Fancy Fishtail Updo
- Step 1 / Create volume at the crown by picking up small horizontal slices and back combing the hair downwards. Slide a brush or comb over the top of the hair to smooth down the top layer.
- Step 2 / Pick up a section of hair above the right ear and split it into two halves.
- Step 3 / Create a fishtail french braid by crossing small sections of hair over the top and adding it into the other half. Then begin incorporating hair into the braid.
- Step 4 / Continue braiding the hair diagonally until it reaches the nape of the neck behind the left ear. Leave out a bit of hair on the right side for crossing over the bun.
- Step 5 / When the braid reaches the nape, twist the tail of the braid towards and wrap it into a low bun, slightly off center.
- Step 6 / Wrap the bun with a clear elastic to secure the bun. Then slide in some hair pins around the edges to anchor it against the head.
- Step 7 / With the remaining hair, divide it into three sections.
- Step 8 / Wrap the section closest to the bun clock-wise around the bun and secure the end with a hair pin.
- Step 9 / Pick up the neck section, closest to the bun, and wrap it across the top of the bun. Pin down the hair at the edge of the bun; wrap the tail underneath, pinning it down with hair pins.
- Step 10 / Take the remaining front section of hair and wrap it over the top of the bun and pin down the edge.
- Step 11 / Wrap the tail into a small rosette to embellish the top of the bun.
- Step 12 / Spray the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.