This Fancy French Braid Updo would be lovely for prom. If your prom is already past then it could also work as a style for a formal occasion such as a wedding. I receive a lot of requests around this time for prom and bridal hairstyles and I think this would work great for either one. It starts as a french braid and then finishes in an intricate looking bun. Once you break it into the individual steps though it quite simple to do. Wherever you decide to wear it, I would recommend giving it a few practice runs beforehand.
Check out these other prom inspired hairstyles while you’re looking:
Fancy French Braid Updo
- Step 1 / Start with a part on the right side and section off a portion of hair from the top of the ears towards the back of the head and clip off the top section.
- Step 2 / Wrap the bottom section into a bun, slightly off center to the right, and hold it in place with elastic band. Then pin it in place with several hair pins.
- Step 3 / Let down the top section and split it in half over the bun.
- Step 4 / Pick up a section of hair near the hairline, on the heavy side of the part, and divide it into two three sections.
- Step 5 / Create a french braid, braiding the hair diagonally towards the bun at the nape of the neck.
- Step 6 / Once all the hair is pulled in, lay the braid over the top of the bun.
- Step 7 / Pin down the braid over the bun to secure it in place.
- Step 8 / Divide the tail of the braid into two halves.
- Step 9 / Twist the ends in opposite directions around the bun and secure it in place.
- Step 10 / Spray the hair with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.