Fishtail braids are some of my favorites. They easily take any hairstyle up a notch and I love how this accented version can be worn casually or dressed up for an event. Low side buns are another of my favorite so I decided the pair together to create this unique updo. I really wanted to get creative with this bun instead of styling it in a way I’ve done before. It’s a mix between messy and dressy so I love how easily it can transition from day to night depending on what’s on your to do list.
Be sure to let me know what you think in the comments below and don’t forget to tag me “#missysuehair” if you recreate this look!
Fishtail Accent Braid Updo Supplies:
Fishtail Accent Braid Updo Instructions:
- Step 1 / Run a brush through the hair to remove any tangles before creating a deep part on the left side.
- Step 2 / Continue the part down the back of the head and tie the section on the right into a bun to work with later.
- Step 3 / Pick up a small section of hair near the hairline and divide it into two pieces for the braid.
- Step 4 / Create the first stitch of a fishtail braid by dividing off a small piece from the strand on the right and crossing it over to the left. Then repeat that same step with a small section from the left side.
- Step 5 / Continue crossing small sections of hair over to the opposite side while also incorporating new sections of hair into the braid. This will create the french braid effect.
- Step 6 / Then repeat the steps, continuing to braid in all of the hair from this left side section and then braid the rest into a regular fishtail or braid before tying off the end with an elastic band.
- Step 7 / Now let down the hair previously tied off on the right side.
- Step 8 / Combine it together with the braid and tie it into a low ponytail, sightly off center behind the right ear.
- Step 9 / Take a small 1” section of hair from the ponytail and loop it up against the head, directly above the band.
- Step 10 / Pin down the loop with a bobby pin.
- Step 11 / Create two more loops to form the base of the bun.
- Step 12 / Now take small sections of hair from the ponytail, twist and cross them over the loops, pinning them down around the edge of the bun.
- Step 13 / Continue twisting small sections and pinning them until all of the hair is incorporated into the bun.
- Step 14 / Mist the style with a firm-hold hairspray and curl any pieces left down to frame the face.