I really wanted to get creative with this hairstyle and I think that’s exactly what happened as a result. This hairstyle features three different types of braids and a looped updo at the back similar to this one. I have a personal obsession with intricate updos and love seeing them come together section by section. I honestly want to attempt this again to change it up a little bit, perfect it a little more but I hope you like it just the same!
Here are some more great updos that are similar to this one that I think you will also love!
Braid Embellished Updo supplies:
Braid Embellished Updo instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to smooth out any tangles then create a part on the right side.
- Step 2 / Divide off a section of hair from the part down to the left ear, clipping off the back portion.
- Step 3 / Divide the front section left out into two vertical halves and clip off the back section.
- Step 4 / With the forward section, along the hairline, create a waterfall braid from this tutorial.
- Step 5 / Let down the back half previously clipped away and braid it into a fishtail french braid, incorporating the waterfall strands from the previous braid.
- Step 6 / With the back section, divide off a small section at the crown.
- Step 7 / Gently roll the hair together towards the right to create volume at the crown.
- Step 8 / Pin the section in place to secure it.
- Step 9 / Next divide the remaining hair into three sections, left, right and middle.
- Step 10 / Separate off a small section of hair from the middle section, underneath the crown.
- Step 12 / Twist the section then grab a few hairs at the bottom and push the rest of the hair up towards the head creating a fuller twist.
- Step 13 / Lay the twist against the head and secure it with bobby pins.
- Step 14 / Continue creating twists until all the hair from the middle section is pinned.
- Step 15 / Take the section on the right side of the head and divide it in two vertical halves.
- Step 16 / Twist the back-most half upwards and wrap it counter-clockwise around the twists at the back and pin it in place.
- Step 17 / Take the hair from the left side and repeat the previous step, pinning it around the bun.
- Step 18 / With the remaining hair on the right, create a braid and loosely pull the edges apart. Wrap it over the top of the bun and secure it in place.
- Step 19 / Finally, take the braid from the left side, wrap it over the top of the bun as well, pinning it.
- Step 20 / Add in a petty clip and set the style with a firm hold hairspray.