You honestly won’t believe how easy this updo is to recreate. It looks like a complicated woven style but each piece is simply two sections tied together, one right after the next, to create a really cool criss-cross effect. I love when styles like this come together because it’s simply not what I had in mind when I sat down to film this tutorial. Either way, it’s a great technique to try and change up to fit your own personal style. Be sure to tag me on instagram if you recreate the look!
Knotted Updo Supplies:
- Coarse/Fine tooth comb
- Texturizing hairspray
- 8-10 bobby pins
- 1 1/4″ curling iron
- Firm-hold hairspray
Knotted Updo Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by back combing all the hair along the back of the head to help the style stay in place. Then spray it with a texturing hairspray.
- Step 2 / Massage the fingers through the teased sections to help soften it.
- Step 3 / Divide off a section of hair at the crown, twisting it together and pinning it against the hair with bobby pins.
- Step 4 / Pick up a 1″ section above the right and left ear bringing it towards the back of the head.
- Step 5 / Lay the section on the right over the left then loop the tail on the right side up and around the crossed sections before tightening it against the head to create the first knot.
- Step 6 / Pick up two new sections and create a second knot under the first.
- Step 7 / Continue creating knots along the back of the head until reaching the nape of the neck.
- Step 8 / Take the remaining hair and braid into a three-strand braid.
- Step 9 / Roll the braid up, under itself, until it reaches the knotted sections.
- Step 10 / Pin the bun against the head with bobby pins.
- Step 11 / Curl the pieces around the face with a curling iron.
- Step 12 / Spray the style with a firm-hold hairspray to set it in place.