How do you put in a bobby pin so it stays? Mine always come out? I L.O.V.E. your tutorials but I’m a bit remedial. ;) Thanks for your help!!!
The first time I tried out this hairstyle I wanted to do something different. I started switching back and forth between a regular braid and fishtail braid and this mixed braids and messy bun came from that. I absolutely love it because you can’t quite figure out what type of braid it is because it’s really two in one!
I threw two more braids in on the opposite side so it wasn’t “naked” on one side. It’s definitely a little different than what I normally do because I just went a little crazy throwing in braids and switching things around. I absolutely love it though and hope you do too!
P.s. This is Braid #3 in my new series, 12 Braids for Spring! Check out Braid #1 and #2 !
Mixed Braids and Messy Bun
- Step 1 / With a right sided part, pick up a section of hair on the heavy side and divide it into three sections.
- Step 2 / Create one stitch of a normal braid, crossing the side strands over the middle.
- Step 3 / Cross the back strand over the middle and add in a section.
- Step 4 / Then cross the front strand over the middle and bring in another section.
- Step 5 / Now split the middle section and add each half into the two side strands to start a fishtail braid.
- Step 6 / Create three stitches of a fishtail braid, crossing small pieces from each side, over the top and adding them into the opposite side.
- Step 7 / Now cross over a small section from the back half, pick up a section, and add both into the front section. This is the same method for creating a fishtail french braid.
- Step 8 / Next, split the front strand into two so there are three sections again.
- Step 9 / Cross the back strand over the middle and bring in a section.
- Step 10 / Then cross the front strand over the middle and bring in another section.
- Step 11 / Repeat steps 9 and 10, creating two stitches.
- Step 12 / Now split the middle strand and braid three stitches of a fishtail braid.
- Step 13 / After 3 or 4 stitches, bring in a section of hair on both sides so the braid lays smoothly.
- Step 14 / Create one more fishtail stitch.
- Step 15 / Then split the bottom strand and braid the rest of the hair in a regular style braid.
- Step 16 / Tie off the braid with a clear elastic band.
- Step 17 / On the right side of the head, create two regular braids next to each other, beginning at the part.
- Step 18 / Now bring all the hair, except the braid on the left side, up into a low ponytail and create a messy bun.
- Step 19 / Wrap the braid from the left side over the top of the bun and clock-wise around the bun.
- Step 20 / Secure the end with a hair pin and spritz the style with hairspray to set it.