This fishtail smooth bun updo is a perfect hairstyle for that night out on the town. I love to wear my hair in braids to work so I think with a smart blazer and clean cut pencil skirt, this could work even at the office.
The hairstyle features a fishtail french braid, wrapped over a big fluffy bun, and topped with a pretty flower clip. If you’ve mastered the fishtail french braid then you definitely need to try this look. It could also be done with a regular french braid or even a dutch braid too.
Fishtail Smooth Bun Updo
- Duck-bill clip
- Clear elastic
- Hair pins
- Hair accessory
- Step 1 / With a left-sided part, separate off a portion of hair from the part down to the left ear. Then clip off the front portion with a duck-bill clip.
- Step 2 / Take the rest of the hair and sweep it into a low ponytail that is slightly off-center towards the left.
- Step 3 / Tie off the hair with a clear elastic.
- Step 4 / Gently loosen the elastic by pulling it down a little ways.
- Step 5 / Using your fingers, create a gap right above the elastic, splitting the hair into two halves.
- Step 6 / Flip the ponytail, up and through the gap to create an upside down topsy tail.
- Step 7 / Comb through the ponytail then tie another elastic near the bottom of the hair.
- Step 8 / Bring the ponytail up against the head and pin the hair with hair pins.
- Step 9 / Take the bottom elastic and roll it under itself so it is anchored under the topsy tail portion.
- Step 10 / Then pin down the hair with hair pins and smooth out the bun so it is symmetrical across the head.
- Step 11 / Let down the pinned portion at the front and pick up a section near the part, dividing it into two halves.
- Step 12 / Create a fishtail french braid tying off the end of the braid with another elastic.
- Step 13 / Go back and gently pull on the edges to create a more voluminous braid.
- Step 14 / Lay the braid over the bun and wrap it clock-wise around, pinning down the end.
- Step 15 / Slide a flower clip or other hair accessory over the right side of the bun to hide where the braid was tucked in.