This fishtail smooth bun updo is a perfect hairstyle for that night out on the town. I love to wear my hair in braids to work so I think with a smart blazer and clean cut pencil skirt, this could work even at the office.
The hairstyle features a fishtail french braid, wrapped over a big fluffy bun, and topped with a pretty flower clip. If you’ve mastered the fishtail french braid then you definitely need to try this look. It could also be done with a regular french braid or even a dutch braid too.
I love dressing up fishtail braids and if you love this look then be sure and check out Fishtail French Braid Braided Bun and the Fishtail Braided Updo!
Fishtail Smooth Bun Updo
- Duck-bill clip
- Clear elastic
- Hair pins
- Hair accessory
- Step 1 / With a left-sided part, separate off a portion of hair from the part down to the left ear. Then clip off the front portion with a duck-bill clip.
- Step 2 / Take the rest of the hair and sweep it into a low ponytail that is slightly off-center towards the left.
- Step 3 / Tie off the hair with a clear elastic.
- Step 4 / Gently loosen the elastic by pulling it down a little ways.
- Step 5 / Using your fingers, create a gap right above the elastic, splitting the hair into two halves.
- Step 6 / Flip the ponytail, up and through the gap to create an upside down topsy tail.
- Step 7 / Comb through the ponytail then tie another elastic near the bottom of the hair.
- Step 8 / Bring the ponytail up against the head and pin the hair with hair pins.
- Step 9 / Take the bottom elastic and roll it under itself so it is anchored under the topsy tail portion.
- Step 10 / Then pin down the hair with hair pins and smooth out the bun so it is symmetrical across the head.
- Step 11 / Let down the pinned portion at the front and pick up a section near the part, dividing it into two halves.
- Step 12 / Create a fishtail french braid tying off the end of the braid with another elastic.
- Step 13 / Go back and gently pull on the edges to create a more voluminous braid.
- Step 14 / Lay the braid over the bun and wrap it clock-wise around, pinning down the end.
- Step 15 / Slide a flower clip or other hair accessory over the right side of the bun to hide where the braid was tucked in.