You asked and I (finally!) listened! By far my most requested tutorial, today I am featuring how I create my messy buns! There are three different buns in today’s video with two signature styles and a third one that didn’t have a video but is still super cute.
The first bun is the one from the Triple French Braid Double Waterfall tutorial way back when. The second bun is the one I wear the most and show frequently in tutorials. Hopefully a better (slower!) break down of how each one is done will help you master the techniques too!
Bun #1 Supplies:
Bun #1 Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start by brushing all of the hair into a high pony.
- Step 2 / Take a hair back and loop it once over the entire ponytail.
- Step 3 / Now twist the hair band once and leave it crossed over the fingers.
- Step 4 / With the head tipped forwards, spread the hair of the ponytail around the head so it’s evenly spread out.
- Step 5 / Pop the hair band over the top of the ponytail and it should create a small bun shape.
- Step 6 / Gently pull on the edges to make the donut bigger.
- Step 7 / Gather the ends sticking out and bring them towards the forehead.
- Step 8 / Loop them back towards the bun and tuck them into the hair band.
- Step 9 / Pull the center of the bun to make it tight against the head and carefully twist and shift the bun until it looks the way you prefer.
- Step 10 / Spray the hair with hairspray and smooth down flyaways.
Bun #2 Supplies:
Bun #2 Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush all the hair into a high ponytail.
- Step 2 / Tip the head forward and holding the hair with the right hand, use the left hand to wrap a hair band over the top part of the ponytail, creating an ‘n’ shape.
- Step 3 / Now twist the left hand so it’s in front of the hair from the ponytail with the palm facing out.
- Step 4 / Twist the hand clock-wise so the hair band is twisted along with the hair from the ponytail.
- Step 5 / Then bring the left hand up to the top of the head, gripping the bun.
- Step 6 / Using the right hand, grab the hair band wrapped around the left hand down towards the base of the bun.
- Step 7 / Find the loop at the back and pull on this to tighten the bun against the head.
- Step 8 / Gently pull on the hair sticking out of the bun to carefully tighten the loop at the front of the head.
- Step 9 / Now loop these ends back towards the hair band and tuck them in to create a third loop.
- Step 10 / Carefully pull on the bun to arrange it better on the head before smoothing down flyaways with hairspray.
Bun #3 Supplies:
Bun #3 Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush all the hair into a high ponytail and tie it off with a hair band.
- Step 2 / Take small sections of the ponytail and gently back comb the hair until it’s all back-combed.
- Step 3 / Bring all the hair forwards and twist it together towards the left side.
- Step 4 / Carefully twist the hair, wrapping it counter clock-wise around the hair band towards the right side.
- Step 5 / Once it reaches the right side, smooth out the twist and continue wrapping the hair around the base until reaching the ends.
- Step 6 / Pin down the edges of the bun with 3-4 bobby pins.
- Step 7 / Spray the hair with hairspray and smooth down flyaways.