I have received so many requests for prom hairstyles and had my eye out for something extra pretty. I love how this updo has a gorgeous braid wrapping around it. If you are new to braiding then it can be a little trickier to do. It’s actually a french braid and lace braid combined together, wrapped around a chic bun. I think it’s the perfect style for any special occasion. If you love this then be sure to check out the Embellished Braided Updo!
Love this style but want something a little easier? Try the French Braid Updo. It is similar but done with a simpler technique.
French Lace Braid Updo
- Step 1 / Begin by sectioning off a portion of hair from a right sided part down to the left ear. Clip off the front portion.
- Step 2 / Repeat step one with the hair on the right side.
- Step 3 / Next, separate off a portion of hair from the ears upward, creating an upside down U shape and clip off the top section.
- Step 4 / Sweep the bottom section of hair into a ponytail.
- Step 5 / Wrap the ponytail with an elastic and pull the hair halfway through on the last loop.
- Step 6 / With the hair sticking out of the elastic, tuck it back in creating a second loop on top.
- Step 7 / Place pins around the bun, securing it against the head.
- Step 8 / Let down the top section of hair and separate it into two halves.
- Step 9 / Now let down the hair pinned on the left side.
- Step 10 / Pick up a section near the part and create a french braid, braiding the hair down towards the left ear.
- Step 11 / Once the braid reaches the ear, curve it around the top of the bun and switch to a lace braid, only pulling in hair from the top of the head.
- Step 12 / When the braid reaches the other side of the bun, braid the hair down into a regular braid and tie off the end with an elastic.
- Step 13 / Let down the hair pinned on the right side. Sweep it counter clockwise around the bun, pinning down the end with hair pins.
- Step 14 / Wrap the braid clockwise around the bun and pin down the end.
- Step 15 / Mist the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.