It’s safe to say I have a slight obsession with dutch fishtail braids. The Fishtail Braided Updo is basically the “french braid” version of this hairstyle. Then there’s the Inverted Fishtail Braid Updo which is similar to this hairstyle but with only one dutch fishtail braid.
I am often asked what the difference is between a dutch fishtail braid, inverted fishtail braid, and a regular fishtail braid. The regular fishtail braid has hair brought in from the top. The dutch fishtail and inverted fishtail braids are one and the same where hair is brought in from underneath the braid so it sits on top of the head. Both are gorgeous braids but I would guess that you will like one more than the other. So give both a try and see which one is your favorite.
Double Dutch Fishtail Braid Updo
- Step 1 / Separate off the top portion of hair from the ears to the back of the head.
- Step 2 / Tie off the body portion to work with the top first.
- Step 3 / Divide the hair in half, a left and right side, then pin up the right side.
- Step 4 / Pick up a section of hair near the part and divide it into two strands.
- Step 5 / Begin a dutch fishtail braid by taking a section of hair from the back strand, crossing it under the strand and adding it to the front strand.
- Step 6 / Now cross a small strand from the front section underneath to the back strand.
- Step 7 / Separate a small section from the back strand and bring in a section of hair incorporating it into the strand then cross both underneath and add them into the other side.
- Step 8 / Repeat step 7 with the front strand.
- Step 9 / Continue braiding the hair down until the braid reaches the ear and all the hair is brought in. Finish braiding the hair in a regular fishtail braid.
- Step 10 / Tie off the braid with a clear elastic band and then gently pull on the edges to create a fuller braid.
- Step 11 / Repeat steps 5-10 with the hair on the right side.
- Step 12 / Let down the bottom section of hair that was tied off at the beginning.
- Step 13 / Create a low messy bun by wrapping the hair with an elastic band.
- Step 14 / Wrap the braid on the right around the bun and pin it in place.
- Step 15 / Now wrap the braid on the left around the bun and secure it with hair pins.