I wore this double dutch merged side braid hairstyle and posted a picture on instagram (also here) a few months back and knew it would need a tutorial. It got tucked into the back somehow though and I am just now getting around to posting the video. I hope you enjoy it as much as the original picture!
Double Dutch Merged Side Braid
- Step 1 / With a part on the right side, then pick up a section on the heavy side of the part and divide it into three sections.
- Step 2 / Begin a dutch braid by crossing the back strand under the middle then cross the front strand under the middle.
- Step 3 / Cross the back strand under the middle and bring in a section of hair incorporating it into the strand as well.
- Step 4 / Cross the front strand under the middle and bring in a section of hair that is about 2″ back from the hairline.
- Step 5 / Repeat steps 3 and 4 creating an arc downward with the braid, leaving out a front section of hair for the second braid.
- Step 6 / Once the braid reaches the nape of the neck, finish braiding down in a regular braid and tie it off with a clear elastic band.
- Step 7 / Next, pick up a section of hair near the part, divide it into three pieces, then cross the side strands under the middle to create a second dutch braid.
- Step 8 / When the braid reaches the top of the left ear, take the left side strand, pull it through the middle of the first braid, then continue braiding it into the second braid.
- Step 9 / Next, cross the front strand under the middle strand and bring in a section of hair.
- Step 10 / Now repeat step 8, pulling the left side strand through the first braid and braiding it into the second braid.
- Step 11 / Repeat steps 9 and 10 until all the hair is braided to create the merged braid.
- Step 12 / When the braid reaches the bottom, tie it off with a clear elastic band.
- Step 13 / Create a more voluminous braid by gently pulling on the edges.