The Christmas season is coming up so I thought it’d be fun to share a tutorial for this Double French Braid Mohawk Bun, a unique updo with two french braids and a mohawk style bun.
This can have an edgy vibe or done as a classy style. Either way it looks a lot more intricate than it is and can be easy to recreate once it’s broken down into steps. Trade out the messy buns for your favorite bun and make it your own. Let me know down in the comments! xo, issy
Double French Braid Mohawk Bun Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 4 Bobby pins
- 2 Clear elastic bands
- Medium-hold hairspray
Double French Braid Mohawk Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start by parting the hair on the right side.
- Step 2 / Then divide out some hair to frame the face.
- Step 3 / Next pick up a section on the left side of the part and divide it into three sections for the first french braid.
- Step 4 / Begin the braid by crossing the right strand over the middle and then the left strand over the middle.
- Step 5 / Now cross the right strand over the middle, pick up a new section of hair and cross it over the middle as well.
- Step 6 / Then cross the left strand over the middle, pick up a new section of hair and cross both over the middle strand.
- Step 7 / Now repeat those steps crossing the side strands over the middle strand while adding new sections into the braid until it reaches the left temple.
- Step 8 / Now stop adding in new hair and braid the section to the bottom in a regular three strand braid before crossing two bobby pins over the ends.
- Step 9 / Now clip this braid out of the way and begin the second french braid right underneath it.
- Step 10 / Pick up a section of hair at the hairline, dividing it into three smaller pieces and crossing the side strands over the middle strand while adding new hair into the braid.
- Step 11 / Once the braid reaches the ear, braid it a little further down and then pull on the edges to make it fuller before sliding two bobby pins over the end.
- Step 12 / Now divide out a section of hair at the top of the head and add the top braid into this section.
- Step 13 / Wrap an elastic band once over the section.
- Step 14 / Then spread the ponytail around the elastic band and then wrap the elastic twice more over this mini bun.
- Step 15 / Now pull on the edges of the bun to make it bigger while tightening it against the head.
- Step 16 / Then take the ends that are left sticking out and tuck these back into the elastic band.
- Step 17 / Now do the same thing with the rest of the hair creating a second little bun right underneath the first one and then pin down any edges that are sticking out with bobby pins.