A ponytail is one of the most convenient hairstyles out here. I love it because you can easily change up your look switching between a low ponytail for errands and a high ponytail for dinner out. Today’s tutorial is a spin on an older tutorial from last year, the Dutch Fishtail Ponytail. This style features a dutch braid and fishtail braid combo whereas last years was a dutch fishtail braid. I love both and think they’re a super sleek way to easily amp up your summer pony. I’d love to hear what you think and which one you like best!
Dutch Braid Fishtail Ponytail Supplies:
Dutch Braid Fishtail Ponytail Instructions:
To prep the hair I curled all of it away from the face with a 1″ curling iron. You can do this style with any hair texture whether straight, wavy or curled.
- Step 1 / Create a deep side part; I put mine on the left side.
- Step 2 / Clip off the top section to keep it out of the way for the braid.
- Step 3 / Pick up a small section on the left side near the hairline and divide it into three equal pieces for the braid.
- Step 4 / Begin a dutch braid by crossing the side strands underneath the middle strand.
- Step 5 / Start incorporating small sections into the braid, continuing the braid so it goes horizontally above the left ear towards the back of the head.
- Step 6 / Now stop adding in hair and do a few extra stitches of a regular dutch braid before tying off the end with an elastic band.
- Step 7 / Remove the clip from the top of the head and brush all of the hair into a ponytail.
- Step 8 / Bring the braid in last so it doesn’t get lost underneath other hair and tie it all together with a hair band.
- Step 9 / At this point you can go back through the braid and pull on the edges to make it wider so it shows up a little better.
- Step 10 / Divide off a small section of hair from the top of the ponytail and split it into two equal sections.
- Step 11 / Create a fishtail braid by crossing small sections from the outer edges over to the opposite side and braiding all the way to the bottom.
- Step 12 / Loosen the sides of the braid to make it fuller and tie it off with an elastic band.
- Step 13 / Divide off a small section from the ponytail, wrap it around the hair band and pin it underneath with bobby pins.
- Step 14 / Spray the style with a medium-hold hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.