New hair trends for Spring are popping up everywhere! My favorite of course is all of the floral inspiration whether it’s headbands, embellished clips or flower crowns. I wanted to bring the trend to a cute half up style that has a very bohemian type feel. This style is perfect for everyday and can be worn to school, work, a concert, brunch with friends or an evening out. The little flower at the back is of course my favorite part but it wouldn’t be complete with out soft, effortless curls.
In today’s tutorial I am teaming up with ghd to share how I prep my hair for this type of hairstyle. Starting with freshly washed hair, I will show you how I blow dry my unruly tresses to create a smooth base for adding curls. Once dry, I will share tips and tricks for creating these everyday curls using a flat iron, a tutorial I haven’t featured in a very long time. It’s a great technique to learn and one that comes in handy because it only requires one tool, the flat iron, for taming unmanageable waves and creating classy curls.
These flat iron curls are created with the ghd platinum styler and it has become my favorite tool for using everyday. Not only does it sit at a perfect heat setting, 365 degrees, but it heats up in seconds and glides right through the hair making it super easy to create gorgeous, healthy-looking curls. It’s also gentler on color-treated hair because of its constant heat throughout the plates which prevents excess exposure to heat which is like music to my ears!
Before curling I always blow dry my hair to ensure my style is sleek and smooth. The ghd Air Hairdryer has become my go-to because of all of its amazing features. It has a salon strength motor which means it drys the hair quickly and comes with two concentrator nozzles so you can really focus the heat where you need it. Coupled with the paddle brush and this duo is all you’ll ever need to create a smooth sleek style so you can leave the house feeling glamorous!
Bohemian Braided Flower Supplies:
- ghd Straight and Tame Cream
- ghd Heat Protectant Spray
- ghd Air Hair Dryer
- Hair Claw Clip
- ghd Paddle Brush
- ghd Platinum Styler
- Hair Sectioning Clip
- 3 Clear Elastic Bands
- 2-3 Bobby Pins
- Medium-hold Hairspray
Bohemian Braided Flower Prep Instructions:
- Step 1 / Beginning with freshly washed hair, add 2-3 pumps of the ghd Straight and Tame cream to help control frizz and add texture to the hair.
- Step 2 / Next, spray the hair with the ghd Heat Protectant Spray to add an extra barrier against the heat.
- Step 3 / Part the hair and grab the ghd Air Hairdryer, blowing the part a little before flipping the head upside down and blowing the roots of the hair from up above to help add volume and lift.
- Step 4 / When the hair is about 70% dry, split it into two sections, at the top of the ears, clipping off the top section and begin brushing through small sections with the ghd paddle brush while following it down with the hair dryer.
- Step 5 / When that layer is dry, let down a new layer of hair and continue blowing the hair until it is completely dry and ready to be curled.
- Step 6 / Just like with blow drying, divide the hair at the top of the ears, clipping off the top, and splitting the hair down the middle at the back so there’s a left and right side.
- Step 7 / Pick up a 1″ section of hair and place the ghd Platinum Styler up side down over the section so the clamp is facing downwards.
- Step 8 / Clamp the styler over the section and then twist it 360 degrees, in a full circle, holding onto the ends with the opposite hand before sliding the styler down to the bottom of the section.
- Step 9 / Continue curling the bottom layer in small sections, alternating the direction of the curls, either towards the face or away from it.
- Step 10 / Then let down a new layer of hair and continue curling the hair with the styler. This is my favorite tool for using everyday because not only does it glide through the hair but it makes creating flat iron curls easy and effortless.
- Step 11 / Once all the hair is curled then apply one pump of the ghd Smooth Finish serum to reduce flyaways, conceal split ends and add shine.
Bohemian Braided Flower Instructions:
- Step 1 / Starting with a part on the right side, divide off a section of hair from the part down to the left ear, clipping the back section out of the way.
- Step 2 / Divide the front section into two equal halves, clipping the front piece out of the way.
- Step 3 / Pick up a small slice near the part and divide it into three smaller sections.
- Step 4 / Begin a dutch braid, crossing the side strands under the middle and incorporating hair into the braid.
- Step 5 / When the braid reaches the temple, stop adding it hair and braid the rest of the section to the bottom, tying off the end with an elastic band.
- Step 6 / Let down the front section of hair and create a second dutch braid, braiding to the bottom and tying it off with a second elastic band.
- Step 7 / Now let down the back section and pick up the two braids on the left side.
- Step 8 / Divide off a small 2″ section, at the right temple and join it with the two braids at the back of the head.
- Step 9 / Now carefully divide off a small section of hair at the center of the back of the head and wrap all of these pieces together with an elastic band.
- Step 10 / Remove the elastic bands from the individual braids and carefully unravel them.
- Step 11 / Then combine the section together and braid it into one, individual braid, tying off the end.
- Step 12 / Bring the braid up horizontally, towards the right and carefully pull on the bottom edge of the braid; this will help the flower be more distinctive after it’s wrapped and pinned.
- Step 13 / Now wrap the braid counter clock-wise into a circle, wrapping it inwards so the ends are tucked into the center.
- Step 14 / Slide several bobby pins underneath the edges of the flower so they pin down the center.
- Step 15 / Spray the style with a medium-hold hairspray and you are ready to go!
Because I love you guys so much I am excited to share that ghd is offering each and every one of you 20% their core range of styling tools! Seriously, you have to check it out, their tools are amazing! Use the code MissySue and hurry over there now because the code expires April 25th!
A big thank you to ghd for sponsoring this post!