I love this hairstyle! I plan on using it for my upcoming prom this weekend! Thank you for an easy to follow tutorial!
This four strand braid updo is elegant and formal; a perfect hairstyle for an evening out. These styles are my absolute favorite and something I love to change up slightly and wear whenever I can. This past week AJ graduated from Officer Training School in Alabama and I was able to wear a similar style to the Dining Out.
Since I was shorter on time I swapped out the four strand braid for a simple lace braid and did a smaller, wrapped bun. It was perfect for the evening which called for elegant ball gowns and a delicious meal while socially and meeting the people AJ associated with for the past 10 weeks he was there.
Love this look? Check out these as well!
Four Strand Updo Supplies:
Four Strand Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to remove any tangles.
- Step 2 / Divide off the front sections of hair, from the part down to the ears, clipping the forward sections out of the way.
- Step 3 / Tie the rest of the hair, at the back, into a low ponytail.
- Step 4 / Separate off a small section of hair from the ponytail, create a small loop and lay it against the head. Then pin it in place with bobby pins.
- Step 5 / Continue creating loops and pinning them until all the hair from the ponytail is pinned.
- Step 6 / Let down the section on the right side.
- Step 7 / Bring the hair to the bun and pin it against the head.
- Step 8 / Wrap the end into another loop, pinning it against the head.
Four Strand Braid Updo Instructions continued:
- Step 10 / Let down the section on the left side.
- Step 11 / Pick up a small section of hair near the part and divide it into four pieces.
- Step 12 / Cross the far right strand under the strand next to it.
- Step 13 / Cross it over the next strand and under the last strand.
- Step 14 / Now cross the middle two strands over each other.
- Step 15 / Repeat the previous steps, beginning the braid again, incorporating hair into the braid on the left and right outer strands.
- Step 16 / Continue braiding the section until it reaches the top of the left ear.
- Step 17 / Braid the rest of the section in a four strand braid.
- Step 18 / Bring the braid back towards the bun, pinning it against the head.
- Step 19 / Take the tail of the braid and wrap it underneath the bun, counter-clockwise, pinning it against the head.
- Step 20 / Spray the style with a firm-hold hairspray to set it .