This four strand braid updo is elegant and formal; a perfect hairstyle for an evening out. These styles are my absolute favorite and something I love to change up slightly and wear whenever I can. This past week AJ graduated from Officer Training School in Alabama and I was able to wear a similar style to the Dining Out.
Since I was shorter on time I swapped out the four strand braid for a simple lace braid and did a smaller, wrapped bun. It was perfect for the evening which called for elegant ball gowns and a delicious meal while socially and meeting the people AJ associated with for the past 10 weeks he was there.
Four Strand Updo Supplies:
Four Strand Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to remove any tangles.
- Step 2 / Divide off the front sections of hair, from the part down to the ears, clipping the forward sections out of the way.
- Step 3 / Tie the rest of the hair, at the back, into a low ponytail.
- Step 4 / Separate off a small section of hair from the ponytail, create a small loop and lay it against the head. Then pin it in place with bobby pins.
- Step 5 / Continue creating loops and pinning them until all the hair from the ponytail is pinned.
- Step 6 / Let down the section on the right side.
- Step 7 / Bring the hair to the bun and pin it against the head.
- Step 8 / Wrap the end into another loop, pinning it against the head.
Four Strand Braid Updo Instructions continued:
- Step 10 / Let down the section on the left side.
- Step 11 / Pick up a small section of hair near the part and divide it into four pieces.
- Step 12 / Cross the far right strand under the strand next to it.
- Step 13 / Cross it over the next strand and under the last strand.
- Step 14 / Now cross the middle two strands over each other.
- Step 15 / Repeat the previous steps, beginning the braid again, incorporating hair into the braid on the left and right outer strands.
- Step 16 / Continue braiding the section until it reaches the top of the left ear.
- Step 17 / Braid the rest of the section in a four strand braid.
- Step 18 / Bring the braid back towards the bun, pinning it against the head.
- Step 19 / Take the tail of the braid and wrap it underneath the bun, counter-clockwise, pinning it against the head.
- Step 20 / Spray the style with a firm-hold hairspray to set it .