This hairstyle definitely falls into the “bohemian/mermaid” category. It’s similar to the Half Up Mermaid Braids and the Braid Embellished Bohemian Fishtail! This look is made with several different braids including regular three strands, a french braid to tie them together and a fishtail braid to finish it off. It may seem complicated but I break down the steps below so you can easily see how it was done and can recreate the look on yourself or a friend!
I have been seeing this type of style all over the place and felt inspired to throw mine own together in order to create a more freestyle braid. I hope you enjoy it and replicate the look!
Triple Braided French Braid
- Step 1 / With a part where you normally part it, mine is in the middle, separate off a portion of hair from the part down to the left ear. Divide this section into two and braid each into a regular braid, tying off the ends with clear elastic bands.
- Step 2 / Repeat step 1 with a section of hair on the right side.
- Step 3 / Pick up two sections of hair behind the top two braids. These two side sections will be two strands for the main braid that goes down the center of the back of the head. Now place the top two braids in between these two sections to become the third piece of the braid.
- Step 4 / Create one stitch of a regular braid by crossing the side piece on the left over the middle piece, then cross the strand on the right over the middle piece.
- Step 5 / Cross the side sections over the middle again and incorporate the second braids alternately into the large middle braid.
- Step 6 / Continue braiding the hair down, incorporating in side sections creating a French braid.
- Step 7 / Once the braid reaches the nape of the neck, split it into two sections to begin a Fishtail braid.
- Step 8 / Create a fishtail braid with the remaining hair and tie off the end with an elastic band.
- Step 9 / Gently pull on the edges of the braid until it is as full and as wide as you prefer.
- Step 10 / Set the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.
Adding extensions into this hairstyle is not necessary in order to recreate it. I like to use them to add a bit of length to the tail of my braid. For this particular hairstyle, here is how I clipped mine in. If this is helpful to you and you would love to see this for different hairstyles please let me know in the comments section below. Thanks!
Triple Braided French Braid Extension Placement:
- Step 1 / Divide the hair into two sections, from the middle of the ear towards the back of the head and clip off the top section. Place two single clip extensions at the center of the back of the head, directly next to each other.
- Step 2 / Let down the top portion of hair and then divide it again at the top of the ears, clipping off the top again. Clip in two more single clip extensions.
- Step 3 / Release the top section of hair once again and divide the hair a third time at the temples. Place two more single clip extensions in before letting down the clipped top section.
- Step 4 / Brush through hair so it combines with the rest of the hair and curl the ends if so desired.