Faux Fishtail Braid looks like a fishtail braid but is actually a thousand times easier. There isn’t any braiding involved so nearly anyone can do it!
This hairstyle features four “topsy tails” and I don’t think I have ever done a hairstyle with a topsy tail. Where that name came from I’ll never know but I remember wearing them in elementary as a single ponytail version. I am so glad it has evolved into cuter styles since then!
Faux Fishtail Braid
- Step 1 / With a part on the right side, pick up a section of hair on the heavy side of the part and wrap it with a clear elastic band.
- Step 2 / Create a topsy tail by making a gap above the elastic and flip the tail up and through the gap, then pull it down tight.
- Step 3 / Gently loosen the hair of the topsy tail so it will hide the elastic.
- Step 4 / Pick up a new section of hair below the first topsy tail and tie this off with another elastic.
- Step 5 / Create a second topsy tail by flipping the hair through a gap and pulling it tight again.
- Step 6 / Bring hair around from the right side of the head and create two more topsy tails with the rest of the hair.
- Step 7 / Take a section of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the last elastic.
- Step 8 / Wrap a new elastic over the tail and pull it tight. The hair that was wrapped around the band will hide both of these elastics.
- Step 9 / Finish by spraying the style with hairspray to set it.