This Dutch Headband Braid is one of my favorite ways to keep my hair back, off my face and a quick and easy braid that will get you many compliments. It is also a great way to add a bit of detail to your everyday curls. For this tutorial I am using a 1″ x-long curling wand from Pro Beauty tools. It is 2 inches longer than a traditional iron, making it perfect for adding sophisticated curls to longer hair.
This curling wand is great because it has the same technology found in leading professional brands making it easy to create salon quality at home. I love knowing that it is used and recommended by stylists because it is so affordable. It creates 24 hour curls making it one of my favorite irons to use and find myself reaching for it on a daily basis.
Headband Braid Supplies:
- Paddle Brush
- 1 Clear elastic band
- Chi Iron Guard Spray
- Texturizing Hairspray
- Pro Beauty Tools 1″ X-long Curling wand
Headband Braid Instructions
- Step 1 / Begin with a part on the right side. Pick up a small section of hair along the part about 3″ wide. Split the section into three equal sections for the braid.
- Step 2 / Cross the side strands under the middle strand, creating the first stitch of the braid.
- Step 3 / Pick up a small section of hair and incorporate in into the left side strand. Cross this side strand under the middle section.
- Step 4 / Add a section of hair into the strand on the right side and cross it underneath the middle section.
- Step 5 / Incorporate hair into the strand on the left side and cross the side strand under the middle.
- Step 6 / Cross the right strand under the middle strand. Then add in the last section of hair on the left side and cross it under the middle section.
- Step 7 / Braid the section in a dutch braid without adding in any additional hair.
- Step 8 / Separate off a small section of hair near the back of the head.
- Step 9 / Tie the braid to the small section of hair with a clear elastic band. Lay hair from the top of the head over the band to hide it.
- Step 10 / Use the Pro Beauty 1″ Curling Wand to add modern curls to the rest of the hair. Set the style with hairspray to finish the look.
I love that this curling wand has a 24K gold plated barrel, with multiple heat settings ensuring the heat is equally distributed for consistent performance. This particular barrel heats up to 430 degrees Fahrenheit with a fast heat recovery system making it perfect for all hair types. This curling wand from Pro Beauty will definitely be a long-time favorite of mine! You can get your own today at your local Walmart.
How to use a Curling Wand:
- Step 1 / Divide the hair into two sections, creating a horizontal line from the top of both ears, clipping off the top section.
- Step 2 / Separate off a small 1″ vertical section of hair and spray it with a heat protectant spray. I am using CHI Iron Guard Spray.
- Step 3 / Using a Pro Beauty Tools 1″ X-Long Gold Curling Wand, place the vertical section of hair over the front of the wand.
- Step 4 / Wrap the hair around the barrel and hold it in place for 5-8 sections.
- Step 5 / Move the curling wand down the section and continue wrapping the hair until it reaches the end.
- Step 6 / Release the hair from the barrel and let it cool.
- Step 7 / Let down a small horizontal section of hair and continue curling it in small sections. Spray the roots with a dry shampoo to add some texture.
- Step 8 / Curl the very top section last and the hair around the face the same way.
- Step 9 / Mist the style with a dry, texturizing hairspray. I am using Fave4 Texture Takeover.
- Step 10 / Run the fingers through the curls to break them up but maintain the separated texture.
*Thank you to Pro Beauty Tools for sponsoring this post.