Is it Christmas yet?! All I can think about is pretty updos that would be so fun for a fancy party. This style is so versatile though and works for so many different occasions. You can easily switch out the bun for your very favorite and wear it as an everyday hairstyle. Fishtail french braids are one of my very favorites (aren’t they all my favorite?) because I love how they make any hairstyle look trickier than it actually is. I think you’re really going to love this tutorial; I really hope you do (: Let me know in the comments how you’re planning to style your hair for any upcoming holiday events; I’m so curious to know!
Fishtail French Braid Low Bun Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 10-12 Bobby pins
- Clear elastic or hair band
- Medium-hold hairspray
Fishtail French Braid Low Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by parting the hair on the left side and then pick up a small section on the heavy side of the part and divide it into three pieces.
- Step 2 / Do one stitch of a regular braid crossing the right strand over the middle and then the left strand.
- Step 3 / Now combine the middle and right strand together so there are only two sections.
- Step 4 / Switching to a fishtail braid, take a small piece from the right side, cross it over the top adding it into the left side.
- Step 5 / Then pick up a new section of hair and cross it over the top adding it into the left side.
- Step 6 / Now take a small piece from the left side, cross it over to the right. Pick up a new section and cross it over to the right side as well.
- Step 7 / Continue the braid working down towards the left ear and then slowly angle the braid towards the back of the head.
- Step 8 / When the braid reaches the middle of the back of the head stop adding in new sections and just braid this section to the bottom in a fishtail braid.
- Step 9 / Criss-cross two bobby pins over the end of the braid.
- Step 10 / Create a second fishtail french braid on the left side of the head though if you prefer to only have one braid then you can skip this step.
- Step 11 / When the left braid meets the right braid braid the section a little ways down and then secure the ends with two more bobby pins.
- Step 12 / To create the bun gather the rest of the hair underneath the braids and tie an elastic band once over the section.
- Step 13 / Put the band back in the dominant hand and twist it once.
- Step 14 / Grip the base of the ponytail and use the opposite hand to spread the ponytail up and around the elastic band.
- Step 15 / Pull the elastic band once more over the ponytail to create a small bun at the nape of the neck.
- Step 16 / Take the ends sticking out from the bun and loop them back towards the top of the bun tucking them into the elastic band to create another loop.
- Step 17 / Take my two braids and lay them over the top of the bun and pin them against the head with bobby pins.
- Step 18 / Remove the bobby pins from the braid on the right side, create a loop and pin it next to the bun with a few bobby pins.
- Step 19 / Then create one more loop with the rest of the hair pinning it as well.
- Step 20 / Now do the same thing with the ends of the braid on the left side. Creating a loop on the side of the bun and pinning it in place with bobby pins.
- Step 21 / Set the style with hairspray and curl any pieces left down around the face.