Throwing your hair into a braid can be one of the easiest ways to get it up and out of the way. I prefer them over ponytails because those can cause unwanted breakage wherever the band is wrapped over the hair. Side braids are a quick fix for that and this mixed braid will have your friends amazed at how intricate it looks but only you will know the secret of how easy it is to actually do. Watch the tutorial below to learn the steps for creating this mixed side braid and you’ll have a great new style to wear all Summer long!
Mixed Side Braid Supplies:
- 1 1/2″ curling iron
- Moroccan Oil Texture Spray
- Rattail comb
- 4-5 clear elastic bands
- Medium-hold hairspray
Mixed Side Braid Instructions:
To prep my hair for this style I curled all of it away from the face with a 1 1/2″ curling iron. Then I misted the roots with a texture spray, blending it in with my fingers.
- Step 1 / Create a part on the right side of the head. You can also switch this style to the opposite side if that is preferred.
- Step 2 / Pick up a 2-3″ section of hair near the part and divide it into two equal pieces.
- Step 3 / Begin a fishtail french braid by crossing a small section from each side over the opposite side.
- Step 4 / Incorporate hair into the braid creating 3-4 stitches of the braid.
- Step 5 / Now stop adding in extra hair and braid the section to the bottom in a fishtail braid.
- Step 6 / Gently pull on the sides of the braid to make it fuller.
- Step 7 / Back comb the end or tie it off with an elastic band so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 8 / Pick up a large section of hair behind the fishtail braid and divide it into three equal pieces.
- Step 9 / Create 3 stitches of a french braid by crossing the side strands over the middle and incorporating hair into the braid.
- Step 10 / Tie off the braid with a clear elastic band.
- Step 11 / Pick up a small section of hair from around the head and another section from behind the left ear and tie them together underneath the end of the french braid.
- Step 12 / Create a topsy tail by flipping the end up through the space above the elastic band and pulling it back down again.
- Step 13 / Gently pull on the edges of the topsy tail to make it wider and more full.
- Step 14 / Pick up two new sections and create a second topsy tail underneath the first.
- Step 15 / Tuck the fishtail braid into the first topsy, hiding the ends underneath the rest of the hair. Now with the remaining hair create a fishtail braid, braiding to the bottom.
- Step 16 / Gently loosen the sides of the braid to make it fuller.
- Step 17 / Take a small section of hair and wrap it around the end of the braid.
- Step 18 / Wrap an elastic band over the end of the braid ensuring to include the end of the wrapped piece as well.
- Step 19 / Pull the tail in opposite directions to slide the elastic band up underneath the wrapped section which will hide the elastic band.
- Step 20 / Curl any pieces left down around the face and set the style with hairspray.