Sooo gorgeous!!! Thanks to you I can do this look myself!!! Ty!!
Prom and bridal season are here and I am so excited to be featuring a tutorial for this hairstyle. I’ve seen it before on younger girls but think it is a perfect style for a more formal occasion.
High buns are so chic and I know with a bit of practice you can master this technique. I’ve already featured the dutch and fishtail versions which you can find here and here so after you try this one be sure to check out the other ones as well!
French Braid High Bun Supplies:
- Optional: Luxy Hair extensions – code LUXYMISSYSUE
- 1 Hair band
- 1 Mesh donut
- 1 Clear elastic band
- 4-5 Bobby pins
- Medium-hold hairspray
French Braid High Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by brushing through the hair to remove any tangles.
- Step 2 / Clip in any hair extensions. I am using 4 single clip extensions on the top of my head in front of the bun.
- Step 3 / Brush the hair up into a high ponytail and tie it off with a hair band.
- Step 4 / Separate off a small 1″ section of hair from the ponytail.
- Step 5 / Take the rest of the hair from the ponytail and pull it through the center of a mesh donut; the donut should rest at the base over the hair band.
- Step 6 / Spread the hair from the ponytail around the donut.
- Step 7 / Make a split in the hair where the small section of hair was left out of the donut.
- Step 8 / Pick up this small section and a new section of hair right above it from the center of the donut.
- Step 9 / Divide the top piece into two smaller sections so you have three pieces for the braid; one from under the donut and the two other pieces from the top of the donut.
- Step 10 / Begin a french braid by crossing the top strand over the middle.
- Step 11 / Now cross the bottom strand over the middle creating one stitch of a regular braid.
- Step 12 / Begin incorporating hair into the braid from the top of the donut by crossing the side strand over the middle, picking up a section of hair and crossing it over the middle as well adding it into the braid.
- Step 13 / Cross the bottom strand over the middle. Do not add any extra hair into this side of the braid.
- Step 14 / Now cross the top strand over the middle, pick up a small section from the top of the donut and add it into the braid.
- Step 15 / Cross the bottom strand over the middle, then the top, then add in a new section of hair crossing it over the middle adding it into the top strand.
- Step 16 / Repeat these steps, crossing the side strands over the middle, bringing in hair from the top of the donut, and slowly angling the braid around the mesh donut.
- Step 17 / Once all of the hair from the ponytail is brought into the braid then continue braiding the section to the bottom in a regular braid, tying off the end with an elastic band.
- Step 18 / Gently pull and loosen the sides of the braid to make it fuller. This is important because it will help make the bun bigger so the mesh donut doesn’t show through.
- Step 19 / Now wrap the braid around the bun, tucking the ends underneath and slide bobby bins around the base to secure it against the head.
- Step 20 / Spray the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways