Coachella! I’ve never actually been but I hear it’s the happening place come Springtime! Edgy, bohemian hairstyles have been all the rage recently and needless to say I am completely obsessed. So of course I wanted to create a video that featured an assortment of styles that are a little more boss than your typical ‘do. I think you could definitely wear these as everyday hairstyles anyways but either way I hope you enjoy the tutorial!
Hair Prep: Before beginning I curled all of my hair with the Nume Tapered Curling wand and applied a argan hair oil to the ends. I also used a few Luxy Hair extensions to help create fullness in the styles. Specifically, 1 triple clip weft and 2 double clip wefts for the half up, half down styles and 4 single clip wefts for the ponytail.
3 Coachella Inspired Hairstyles Supplies:
- Nume tapered curling wand – code SAVE50
- Argan hair oil – my favorite!
- Luxy Hair extensions – code LUXYMISSYSUE
- Rattail teasing comb
- 2 Hair sectioning clips
- 4 Clear elastic bands
- 8-10 Bobby pins
- Flower embellishments – more options
- Medium-hold hairspray
Half Up Crown Inspo // Top (no longer available); // Lipstick ‘Candy Yum Yum’
Half Up Floating Crown Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair and part it down the center.
- Step 2 / Create a diagonal part about 2″ back from the hairline and down towards the ear.
- Step 3 / Clip off the forward section of hair to keep it out of the way.
- Step 4 / Pick up a section near the part and create a dutch braid, adding in hair to the front part of the braid but not the back.
- Step 5 / Continue bringing in hair until the braid reaches the temple, then braid to the bottom and gently back comb the ends so the braid doesn’t unravel.
- Step 6 / Repeat the previous steps with the hair on the right side, creating a dutch braid and back combing the ends.
- Step 7 / Now wrap the braids around the head so they wrap around the back, higher up on the head, and across the top of the head, behind where the braids began.
- Step 8 / Slide bobby pins into the braids all the way around it so that it doesn’t move throughout the day.
- Step 9 / Slide some pretty flowers into the back of the braid to add some embellishments.
- Step 10 / Set the style with hairspray.
Mohawk Ponytail Inspo // Top // Lipstick: ‘Candy Yum Yum’ + ‘ Vegas Volt’
Mohawk French Braid Ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush the hair straight back from the forehead and pick up a small horizontal section right at the forehead.
- Step 2 / Divide it into three sections and begin a french braid.
- Step 3 / Trail the braid along the center of the top of the head, adding in hair but leaving down the hair along the sides of the head.
- Step 4 / Continue the braid down the center of the back of the head until it reaches a few inches up from the hairline.
- Step 5 / Tie off the braid with a clear elastic band.
- Step 6 / Gently pull on the edges of the braid and the center to create volume within the braid so it looks more like a mohawk. Pull it a lot or a little depending on your personal preference.
- Step 7 / Gather the rest of the hair at the base of the braid and tie it off with a hair band.
- Step 8 / Take a small section of hair from the ponytail and wrap it around the hair band.
- Step 9 / Pin the end of the wrapped section underneath with bobby pins.
- Step 10 / Spray the style with hairspray to set it.
Half Up Twists Inspo // Top // Lipstick ‘Heat Wave’
Half Up V Twists Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair and create a center part.
- Step 2 / Create a second part from the center of the forehead diagonally back towards the crown.
- Step 3 / Clip off the hair underneath the “V” section so it stays out of the way.
- Step 4 / Spray the “V” section with hairspray and begin twisting the section towards the center of the top of the head, beginning at the forehead and working back to the crown.
- Step 5 / Slide a bobby pin into the twist to secure it in place.
- Step 6 / Repeat the previous steps creating a second “V” section on the right side and twisting it towards the center of the head, securing it with a bobby pin.
- Step 7 / Pick up a 2-3″ horizontal section at the crown and gently back comb the hair to add some texture for the bun.
- Step 8 / Twist the section together and wrap it around itself to create a bun shape.
- Step 9 / Wrap the bun with an elastic to hold it in place.
- Step 10 / Pull on the edges and pin down sections with bobby pins until it looks the way you prefer.
- Step 11 / Set the style with hairspray and smooth down flyaways.