Top knots are some of my favorite styles to wear. They get the hair off the face and out of reach of little baby hands. Dressing up a top knot is now easier to do with this simple tutorial. It features a cotton candy style bun with a little baby fishtail braid wrapped around the base. You could even fluff the braid out if you wanted it to be bigger. Either way, you will love seeing how easy this style is to recreate so let’s get on with the tutorial!
Fishtail Embellished Top Knot Supplies:
Fishtail Embellished Top Knot Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by brushing through the hair to remove any tangles.
- Step 2 / Sweep the hair into a high ponytail and tie it off with a hair band.
- Step 3 / Use a teasing brush or comb to gently back comb small sections of the ponytail to add volume.
- Step 4 / Separate off a 1″ section of hair from the underside of the ponytail and leave it hanging down the back of the head.
- Step 5 / With the remaining hair, gently twist it counter clock-wise while wrapping it clock-wise around the hair band, over the top of the section that was left out.
- Step 6 / Continue wrapping the hair until reaching the very ends.
- Step 7 / Slide bobby pins around the base of the bun to secure the hair in place.
- Step 8 / Next, take the section left out and split it into two equal pieces.
- Step 9 / Create a fishtail braid by taking small sections from the outside and crossing them over to the opposite section.
- Step 10 / Continue alternate between each side, crossing small sections over to the opposite section until reaching the ends of the hair.
- Step 11 / Now wrap the braid around the base of the bun and pin down the end with another bobby pin.
- Step 12 / Spray the style with a firm-hold hairspray and smooth a hand over the hair to smooth down flyaways.