Side Swept Dutch Braid Supplies:
Side Swept Dutch Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Use the end of a teasing brush to part the hair on the left side; then brush through the hair before sweeping all the hair over the left shoulder.
- Step 2 / Separate off a 3″ wide section behind the right ear.
- Step 3 / Divide the section into three smaller pieces.
- Step 4 / Cross the left strand under the middle, then the right strand under the middle to begin a dutch braid.
- Step 5 / Next, cross the left strand under the middle and pick up a small section of hair from the top of the head. Cross this section under the middle as well bringing it into the braid.
- Step 6 / Now cross the right strand under the middle and bring in a section from near the nape of the neck.
- Step 7 / Continue braiding the hair creating a horizontal dutch braid from the right ear towards the left ear.
- Step 8 / Once the braid reaches behind the left ear, pin it against the head with several bobby pins.
- Step 9 / Pick up a small 1″ section of hair from above the braid on the left side of the head.
- Step 10 / Twist the section upwards and pin it against the head where the braid ends.
- Step 11 / Wrap the piece upwards creating a loop and secure the loop next to the braid with bobby pins.
- Step 12 / Next separate off another piece of hair (slowly working towards the hairline), bringing it back towards the braid, looping the hair and pinning it next to the braid.
- Step 13 / Combine the two tails from the pins pieces and create a third loop underneath the previous two.
- Step 14 / Pick up a third section of hair, this one next to the face or hairline, and sweep it back, securing it underneath the loops.
- Step 15 / Once the hairstyle is all pinned, gently loosen the sides of the braid to make it appear thicker. Then gently grip and loosen the hair at the crown above the braid to create volume and tighten or loosen the pinned loops until it looks the way you prefer.
- Step 16 / Use a 1″ curling iron to curl the ends of the hair hanging over the shoulder before setting the style with a firm-hold hairspray.