This stacked hairstyle may look tricky but it is actually pretty easy to do! If you already love a good fishtail braid and have mastered the dutch braid then this style will be cake. No really! The two braids are created individually and then stacked on top of one another, hence the name! Wrap it all together into a messy bun or ponytail and you are ready to head out the door.
I recently wore this hairstyle to the lake and it was so great because it kept the hair off my neck and out of the way of grabby, little baby hands. I actually spotted this hairstyle as two dutch braids but when I actually sat down to try it out, thought it would look cooler with a fishtail braid. Turns out styles similar to this one have already been done before, derp derp, but I hope this version will help inspire a little more creativity for your very own version!
Stacked Fishtail + Dutch Braid Messy Bun
- Step 1 / For added texture and if your hair is due for a washing, spray the roots with some dry shampoo and blend it in with your fingers.
- Step 2 / Divide off a small section of hair, from the corners of the forehead, to the top of the head, in a rough triangle shape.
- Step 3 / Tie off this section with a clear elastic band.
- Step 4 / Pinch and pull the hair slightly to create a small pompadour.
- Step 5 / Flip this small section of hair forwards and tie the rest of the hair into a ponytail to keep it out of the way.
- Step 6 / With the small pompadour section of hair, create a fishtail braid by dividing the hair in half and crossing small sections over the top to the other side. Alternate sections until the entire piece is braided.
- Step 7 / Tie off the end with a clear elastic band.
- Step 8 / Clip this braid out of the way and let down the remaining hair.
- Step 9 / Create a dutch braid down the back of the head by crossing the side sections under the middle and bringing in hair from the sides as you go.
- Step 10 / When the braid reaches the nape of the neck, gently pull on the edges of the braid to make it wide and flat.
- Step 11 / Lay the fishtail braid over the center of the braid and tie them together at the nape of the neck.
- Step 12 / Remove the elastic band from the fishtail braid.
- Step 13 / Slide a bobby pin into the center of the fishtail braid and into the dutch braid to hold the two braids together. Repeat this 2-3 more times until it’s secure.
- Step 14 / To finish the style as a ponytail, wrap a small piece of hair around the elastic band and pin down the end with a bobby pin.
- Step 15 / To create a messy bun, take a second elastic band, wrap it over the hair creating a loop. Then twist the elastic band, twisting the hair at the same time and wrap the band once more over the hair. Tuck the tails into the elastic band and fan them out slightly. (The video tutorial for this bun is found here.)
- Step 16 / Set the style with hairspray and smooth down flyaway.