This hairstyle was first seen on thebeautydepartment and is such a fun new way to dress up that boring ponytail. It is so perfect for a Summer barbecue, night out with friends or even just a trip to the lake. It keeps the hair tied back so it’s out of the way but you’ll still feel a little more dressed up than with your typical ponytail.
I absolutely love the look and have been wanting to try it for a few weeks now. When I saw how it was created with bobby pins the first time, I wasn’t too keen on the concept. Using hair elastics instead, to tie the knots together underneath, made more sense and I thought it would be great to share with you so you can try it out too!
Knotted Low Pony
- Begin by curling the hair.
- Next, I applied a smoothing cream from Kiehls to smooth down flyaways.
- Step 1 / With a part where you typically separate the hair, divide off two sections of hair, from the part down to the bottom of the ears.
- Step 2 / Cross the left section over the right, then flip the end of the left section around the right section, creating one half of a knot and pulling it tight against the head.
- Step 3 / Take the two tails from the knot and wrap them around the rest of the hair so they meet underneath. Tie them together with a clear elastic band to hold them in place underneath.
- Step 4 / Pick up two more similar sized sections from the edges of the ponytail for a second knot.
- Step 5 / Wrap the two tails into another half knot keeping it about 2″ down from the first one.
- Step 6 / Tie the ends together underneath the hair with another elastic band.
- Step 7 / Create a third knot with two more pieces, tying them together underneath again.
- Step 8 / Carefully pull apart the knots and the hair in between to create a fuller more voluminous ponytail.
- Step 9 / Use a teasing brush to back comb the tail of the ponytail for added volume.
- Step 10 / Mist the style with a medium hold hairspray and smooth down flyaways.