I recently wore this hairstyle in this post with baby Cohen and had a few requests for a tutorial. I decided to put it in my Spring series because it really is a perfect hairstyle for the season. Fishtail braids are so trendy right now and with the weather warming up it’s nice to have your hair up and out of the way since it can be warm one minute or rainy and wet the next.
It’s similar to the Dutch Fishtail Ponytail except this style goes across the head like a headband whereas the other one is an undercut style which has more of an edge.
Dutch Fishtail Pony
- Step 1 / Pick up a small section near the part and divide it into two halves for the braid.
- Step 2 / Begin a dutch fishtail french braid by crossing a small piece from the back section, underneath, and adding it into the front section.
- Step 3 / Repeat step 2 with the front section, crossing a small section under and adding it into the front half.
- Step 4 / Continue crossing sections underneath and adding them into the opposite side but begin incorporating sections of hair into the strands crossing them under as well.
- Step 5 / Once all the hair is brought in, finish in a regular fishtail braid.
- Step 6 / Gently pull on the sides of the braid to loosen it and make it larger.
- Step 7 / Sweep all the hair up into a ponytail and tie it off with an elastic band.
- Step 8 / Wrap a piece of hair from the ponytail around the hair band and secure it with a hair pin.