How can I avoid the crease when using a 1.5inch straightener?
Flat Iron Curls is a tutorial that will you show you how to curl your hair with a flat iron.
I am wearing hair extensions, from Sally’s Beauty supply, in the video but you curl your hair the same either way. Curls with a flat iron are some of my favorites. Second favorite, actually, right behind a 1 1/4″ curling iron. Don’t worry, that tutorial is coming up soon.
A flat iron can be tricky to get used to at first but every time you try it you get a little bit better. I started using a straightener to curl my hair in college. In fact, I didn’t own a curling iron until only a few years ago when I started this little (read: totally awesome) blog.
Don’t be discouraged if you can’t get it just right at first. It definitely takes practice. Crossing your dominant hand across your head to reach the opposite side is something I would definitely recommend doing if you want your curls to look uniform. If that sounds confusing simply watch the video and you’ll understand what I mean.
- Begin by separating the hair into sections; achieve this by dividing the hair at about ear level and clipping the rest on top of the head.
- Slide your fingers down the back of the head, over the section left out and divide it into two halves. Pull each side forwards so they rest over the right and left shoulders, respectively.
- Take a section of hair on the left side and comb through it.
- Spray the strand with a heat protectant spray.
- Comb through the strand a second time. This is very important in making sure the flat iron glides over the strand.
- With the flat iron in your right hand, cross your arm over your head so the mouth is facing downwards.
- Clamp the iron over the strand and twist towards the back of your head.
- Take the end of the strand sticking out and guide it around the straightener.
- Gently slide the flat iron downwards, making sure the strand stays within the clamp of the iron.
- Repeat steps 2 through 8 with the next strand.
- With the hair on the right side, repeat steps 3 through 5.
- Now take the flat iron and clamp it over the hair so the opening faces downwards.
- Twist the straightener towards the back of the head, guiding the rest of the hair so it follows the twisting motion.
- Now slide the straightener down the strand keeping the rest of the hair in line so it follows through the iron and is curled.
- Once all the hair from this section is curled, let down another section; between the ears and eye level.
- Repeat steps 2 through 14 with the new section of hair.
- Now let down the top portion and repeat the steps once more.