Prom is coming up soon and a few of you have already started asking for tutorials. I usually always post updo hairstyles so this year I thought it’d be fun to change things up and do a half up style! This is definitely an easier hairstyle but prom hairstyles can be super intimidating so I wanted to feature something that you could do on your own at home. Of course, I think this would also be great as an everyday hairstyle which is how I wore it since I’m not going to prom any time soon. I’d love to hear what you think and whether you’d wear this style to prom or as an everyday hairstyle instead. xo, M
Half Up Braid Wrapped Bun Supplies:
- Rattail Comb
- 9-10 bobby pins
- Medium-hold hairspray
- 1 1/4″ curling iron
HU Braid Wrapped Mini Bun Instructions:
Prep: For this hairstyle I curled all of my hair with a 1 1/4″ curling iron. I curled each section away from my face and added in 3 wefts of Luxy Hair extensions for added volume and length.
- Step 1 / Start by creating a center part and then divide out any hair to frame the face.
- Step 2 / Next pick up a small slice of hair on the left side of the part. Split this into three sections for the braid and then cross the right strand over the middle and then the left strand.
- Step 3 / Then do one more crossover on each side and bring in new sections of hair.
- Step 4 / Now continue the braid only adding in hair from along the hairline until it reaches the temple.
- Step 5 / Then braid the section to the bottom and criss-cross two bobby pins over the ends so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 6 / Now I’m going to repeat the exact same steps creating a second braid on the right side of my head, only adding in hair from along the hairline until it reaches my temple. Then I’m going to braid the section a little further down and criss-cross two bobby pins over the ends.
- Step 7 / Next divide off a small section of hair at the crown and twist the section together.
- Step 8 / Wrap the section clock-wise, creating a small gap and then pulling the ends through the gap to create a knot.
- Step 9 / Then continue wrapping the ends around the edge of the bun and pin the edges with bobby pins.I slide them in towards the center until it feels snug against my head.
- Step 10 / Now take the braid on the left side and wrap it over the bun. Remove the bobby pins from the ends of the braid and continue wrapping the braid clock-wise around the bun.
- Step 11 / Then pin it in place with bobby pins.
- Step 12 / Next take the braid on the right side, bring it back to the bun and pin it against the head.
- Step 13 / Then remove the bobby pins from the end of the braid and wrap it underneath the bun.
- Step 14 / Continue wrapping the braid clock-wise over the top and pin the end so it doesn’t come loose.