For today’s tutorial, I thought it’d be fun to share my two favorite messy buns.
Whenever I don’t want to do my hair, I throw it into a messy bun. It’s so simple and quick and I can usually get it right on the first try. I have featured these in tons of other tutorials but I love having a dedicated video just for this because I get asked all of the time how I do them.
There is an older tutorial showing how to do these but I tried to edit this one without any cuts so hopefully you can see what I’m doing more easily.
Let me know if you’ve already mastered these buns and which one you like best! Thank you so much for watching! xoxo, Missy
2 Easy Messy Buns Supplies:
- Paddle brush
- Hair band
- Bobby pins
- Medium-hold hairspray
Messy Bun #1 Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start by brushing all of the hair up towards the top of the head.
- Step 2 / Take a hair band and slide it halfway over the ponytail.
- Step 3 / Pick up the ponytail with the thumb and pointer finger, then put the pointer finger in the hair band.
- Step 4 / Twist the hand under, towards the back of the head.
- Step 5 / Let go with the thumb and place it in the hair band.
- Step 6 / Grab the bun with the left hand and pull the hair band over the bun with the right hand.
- Step 7 / Now pull on the back loop to tighten the bun against the head.
- Step 8 / Then rearrange the front loop so it’s similar in size to the back one.
- Step 9 / Pin down the edges of the bun with bobby pins so there aren’t any gaps in the bun.
- Step 10 / Set the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.
Messy Bun #2 Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by brushing all of the hair up towards the top of the head.
- Step 2 / Wrap a hair band over the ponytail.
- Step 3 / Then wrap the hair band over the right hand
- Step 4 / Use the left hand to spread the ponytail around the hair band.
- Step 5 / Then wrap the hair band twice more of the bun.
- Step 6 / Now pull on the edges of the bun to tighten it against the head and make it fuller.
- Step 7 / Take the ends left sticking out, loop them back towards the bun and tuck them into the hair band.
- Step 8 / Then just manipulate the bun until you like the way it looks
- Step 9 / Set everything with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.