Washing makeup brushes on a regular basis is so important for keeping your skin and makeup application more hygienic. It is one of those chores that I absolutely dread and always postpone it way too long. I have quite a few makeup brushes so it always seems to take forever. I love when they’re clean though so I’ve developed a quick routine that really helps get those brushes sparkling clean.
I started using simple baby soap to clean mine on a regular basis because it’s gentle, affordable, and doesn’t ruin them. I know this because my brushes are still in new condition after years of use and regular washings.
How to Wash Makeup Brushes
- Step 1 / Begin by wetting the brushes with warm water; hot water can loosen the glue in the brush. Make sure the bristles are pointed downwards so water doesn’t seep into the handle.
- Step 2 / Cup your hand and pump or squeeze a quarter sized amount of soap into it.
- Step 3 / Swirl the bristles into the soap and rub it against the hand. This helps to really deep clean the brushes. Add more soap and continue lathering any orange areas until the top turns back to it’s natural white shade.
- Step 4 / Rinse the brush under running water while rubbing it against the hand to ensure all the soap has been flushed out.
- Step 5 / Once the water runs clear, squeeze the bristles of the brush to clear out any excess water. Then gently squeeze the bristles together with a towel to remove more water.
- Step 6 / Lay the brush on an open shelf or so the bristles hang over a ledge. This will speed up the drying time which usually takes at least 24 hours.