My latest obsession is the inverted fishtail braid and this inverted fishtail side braid is latest in my list of favorites . I recently featured a tutorial for a headband version and a more complicated style, the Waterfall and Inverted Fishtail Braid but I think this one would be absolutely perfect for a holiday party or get-together. Braids are so fun to wear and it’s great when someone exclaims “whoa how’d you do that!?” I think if you try this one out you definitely won’t regret it! Be sure to dress it up with a gorgeous clip and you are set to go!
Inverted Fishtail Side Braid:
- Step 1 / Begin with a side part, sweeping all the hair over the opposite shoulder.
- Step 2 / Pick up a section of hair behind the right ear and divide it into two sections.
- Step 3 / Separate out a small section of hair from the top half, cross it under the section and add it into the bottom section of hair.
- Step 4 / Then separate off a small section of hair from the bottom half, crossing it underneath and adding it into the top half.
- Step 5 / Cross another section from the top half underneath to the bottom half but also pick up a section of hair and incorporate it into the strand as well.
- Step 6 / Repeat step 5 with the bottom section, crossing under a small section from the strand and bringing in a section of hair crossing it under also.
- Step 7 / Continue braiding, repeating steps 5 and 6 creating an inverted fishtail french braid until it reaches the opposite side of the head.
- Step 8 / Once all the hair is brought in, finish braiding down in a regular fishtail style braid.
- Step 9 / Tie off the end with an elastic band.
- Step 10 / Go back and pull on the sides of the braid to make it fuller.
- Step 11 / Then place two clips over the top of the braid for the finished look.