Ipsy Glam bag and Birchbox are monthly beauty subscriptions that send an assortment of sample size and deluxe size products right to your door. They each cost $10 and always have a different variety of products each and every month. I love opening the two together and comparing the contents to see which beauty box that month was better. Read on below to see more about what I received this month!
Battle of the Boxes: September 2015
Ipsy Beauty Glam Bag Review
- clariSEA Rapid Detox Charcoal Exfoliant – I like that this product can easily be added to your everyday cleanser for a little extra scrub every now and then. It can even be used with a small amount of water so either way it’s a great way to get a little extra exfoliation and sluff off old skin cells.
- NYX Cosmetics Eye Shadow Trio – The three shades that come in this little palette are great for everyday. They can easily create an eye look that transitions from day to night making it great for taking on the go. I am normally not a big fan of NYX shadows since the color pay off isn’t as great but this is a palette I will continue to use.
- Formula X Nail Color in Ignite – I wasn’t too excited when I saw a polish in this months bag because I am terrible at painting my own nails. However, once I pulled it out of the box and saw it was this gorgeous red shade I knew it would be perfect during the holiday season and could always use it on my toes.
- tre’StiQue Mini Matte Lip Crayon – I thought this was an eyeshadow pencil at first and pleasantly surprised when I realized it was actually a buttery soft, rich matte lip color.
- First Aid Beauty, Ultra Repair Cream – I’ll be honest, I dislike receiving lotions and creams because I am literally swimming in them. I toss them into a container in my beauty drawer and they just sit there slowly piling up until a few years later we move and I throw them away. I was tempted to toss this right into the trash from the get-to but I am going to keep it in my diaper and try ti use it through the winter months when my hands always need a little extra moisturizer.
Birchbox Beauty Review
- 100% Pure Organic Coffee Bean Caffeine Eye Cream – This product actually has a fairly strong coffee coffee scent. It works really great as an eye cream though and soaks into the skin fast without irritating it. So far, it’s been a really great cream for helping with my dark circles and hydrating my skin in general without feeling sticky or greasy.
- POP Beauty POP Portfolio Eyeshadow Palette – When I received this it was completely crumbled. I took off the wrapping to actually open it up and glittery eyeshadow spilled out everywhere. It was absolutely terrible and I quickly threw the entire thing in the garbage.
- tre’StiQue Correct & Cover Concealer Crayon – Again, I thought this was an eyeshadow crayon. I received an eyeshadow in a previous months bag so I love that this company makes lipsticks and concealers too! It was only so-so as a concealer though. I wasn’t too keen on the coverage and it didn’t hide blemishes very easily. I’d like to think that I will continue using it but I most likely I will forget about it and continue using my trusty, concealer favorites.
- NER:D Skincare Hydrating Mask – I’ll be honest, I haven’t even had a chance to try this yet. I am hesitant about the idea of a full-face sheet mask. Some of the other reviews said it was great while others said it was slimy and unpleasant to wear. I am curious to see what it’ll be like for me and will use it as soon as I get back from vacation.
- RUSK Hair Care Elixir Mist – Right out of the gate, I am not a big fan of hair products. They weigh down my hair and I have to wash it a day earlier than usual. This product is essentially a spray oil which, if over applied, does in fact weight down the hair. For me, it works great on second day hair when it’s feeling a little dry and needs an extra boost of moisture. It leaves hair shiny and smooth and I like to use it when I know I am already planning to wash it the next day.
In review, Ipsy had a lot more to offer than Birchbox this month. With a completely busted up eyshadow palette, Birchbox had to really stretch the rest of its products to make up for something completely unusable. I like and will use up all of the products from the Ipsy bag. So excited to see what will come in next month’s beauty bags! Until then, thanks for reading!
Want to subscribe to either of these subscriptions? Click here to sign up to receive your own Ipsy Glam bag and here for a subscription to Birchbox. Both $10, both right to your front door every month.