If you’re a fan of the woven braid, then you’re going to love today’s tutorial. I used the same technique for this half updo and it makes creating these braids so much easier to do than other tutorials I’ve seen.
I’ve always been too afraid to try out any braid that has more than 4 sections but with this technique you’re basically focusing on three strands at the beginning instead of 5 so it’s a lot easier to see and control what you’re doing.
I hope the tutorial is easy to understand and that you give it a try. As always, be sure to let me know what you think! xo, Missy
Half Up Five Strand Braids Supplies:
Half Up Five Strand Braids Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by parting the hair where you normally prefer. I put mine slightly off center.
- Step 2 / Pick up a section on the left side of the part and divide it into three pieces for the braid.
- Step 3 / Cross the right strand over the middle, then cross the left strand over the middle.
- Step 4 / Now take the right strand and lay this out of the way.
- Step 5 / Then pick up a new section on the right side, cross it over the middle strand in its place.
- Step 6 / Drop down the left strand, pick up a new section behind it, and cross it over the middle strand.
- Step 7 / Now drop the right strand, let down the piece set aside and bring it under the right strand, crossing it over the middle strand.
- Step 8 / Then pick up a new piece, crossing it into the middle strand as well.
- Step 9 / Now drop down the left strand, take the previous strand that was left out, cross it under the left strand, and then over the middle strand into the braid.
- Step 10 / Then pick up a new section of hair and cross it over to the middle strand.
- Step 11 / Repeat those steps continuing the braid until hair is brought in above the left ear.
- Step 12 / Then stop adding new sections into the braid and continue braiding the section down to the ends in a five strand braid.
- Step 13 / Now slide a bobby pin over the end of the braid and then go back over the braid pulling on the edges to make it fuller.
- Step 14 / Repeat those same steps and create a second 5 strand braid with the hair on the right side.
- Step 15 / Now bring the right braid around the back of the head and pin it in place with bobby pins.
- Step 16 / Then wrap the left braid under the right braid pinning it at the back of the head.
- Step 17 / Then set everything in place with hairspray.