Waterfall braids have become such a classic style that I thought it’d be fun to share how to wear one as a ponytail. A basic waterfall braid is a lot easier to achieve than you might think and always look so intricate and cool. For this tutorial I decided to do two waterfall braids although I think this would look just as pretty with only one. Style it with your hair curly or straight and you’ve got a fun new way to wear your hair all through the Spring and Summer.
Double Waterfall Ponytail Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 4 Bobby pins
- Hair band
Double Waterfall Ponytail Instructions:
To prep my hair for this hairstyle, I used a 1″ curling iron to curl all of my hair in small sections away from my face.
- Step 1 / Begin by parting the hair where you normally part it. I’m placing mine on the right side.
- Step 2 / Pick up a small section on the left side of the part and divide it into three sections for the braid.
- Step 3 / Start by crossing the right strand over the middle. Then cross the left strand over the middle.
- Step 4 / Now cross the right strand over the middle, pick up a new section and cross it into the middle strand.
- Step 5 / Next drop down the left strand and pick up a new section, crossing it over the middle strand in its place.
- Step 6 / Then cross the right strand over the middle, pick up a new section and cross it into the middle strand.
- Step 7 / Now drop down the left strand, pick up a new section from underneath it and cross it over the middle strand in its place.
- Step 8 / Repeat those steps continuing the waterfall braid, keeping it high on the head and slowly working towards the back of the head.
- Step 9 / Once the braid reaches the back of the head, stop adding in new sections and braid the section to the bottom in a regular three strand braid.
- Step 10 / Then so it doesn’t unravel, cross a bobby pin over the bottom.
- Step 11 / Now repeat those same steps and create a second waterfall braid on the right side of the head.
- Step 12 / With both braids done, combine all of the hair together into a ponytail and tie it off with a hair band.
- Step 13 / Remove the bobby pins from the ends of the braids and unravel them.
- Step 14 / Divide out a section of hair from the ponytail, wrap it around the hair band and pin it in place with a bobby pin.
- Step 15 / Set the style with hairspray.