I’ve been wearing ponytails so often lately and today’s tutorial is a really easy way to dress up one for everyday.
The French fishtail braid is a bit tricky to master, but once you do you’ll have a sophisticated, chic braid that is totally wearable and easy to combine with anything.
I’ve added two dutch braids for this style and love this for a great everyday look. Let me know what you think in the comments below. Thanks for watching! xoxo, Missy
Fishtail and Dutch Braid Ponytail Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- Bobby pins
- Hair band
- Medium-hold hairspray
Fishtail and Dutch Braid Ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / To start, divide out a section from the part down to to the left ear and clip away the back hair.
- Step 2 / Begin the dutch braid by picking up a section of hair on the heavy side of the part and divide it into three pieces.
- Step 3 / Start by crossing the right strand under the middle and then the left strand under the middle.
- Step 4 / Then cross the right strand under the middle, and pick up a new section and crossing it under the middle as well.
- Step 5 / Then cross the left strand under the middle and bring a new section into the braid.
- Step 6 / Repeat those steps continuing the dutch braid down the left side of the hairline and be sure to keep the braid nice and small so there’s hair at the top and back of the head for the fishtail braid later on.
- Step 7 / Once hair is brought in at the ear then braid the section to the bottom and cross a bobby pin over the end so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 8 / Now create another dutch braid on the right side, along the hairline and slide a bobby pin over the bottom.
- Step 9 / Now create a fishtail french braid with the hair left at the back of the head.
- Step 10 / So pick up a section near the crown and divide it into two pieces.
- Step 11 / Cross small pieces over to the opposite side while adding in new sections of hair until all of the hair is brought into the braid.
- Step 12 / Then continue braiding the section in a fishtail braid crossing small sections over to the opposite side without adding in any new hair.
- Step 13 / Once the braid reaches a little further down tie it off with a hair band to create the ponytail.
- Step 14 / Then take a small section of hair from the ponytail, wrap it around the hair band and pin it underneath with a bobby pin.
- Step 15 / Now take the braid from the right side, wrap it around the ponytail and secure it underneath with a bobby pin.
- Step 16 / Then take the other braid and do the same thing, wrapping it around the ponytail, and pinning it underneath with a bobby pin.