It’s officially Fall! Since Fall is my very favorite season and I am obsessed with fishtail braids I thought it’d be the perfect chance to share three of my very favorite hairstyles. These are all casual enough to wear as everyday hairstyles but can easily be dressed up for going out on the weekend or to a fancier event.
Which one is your favorite?! Let me know in the comments below! If there are any other specific tutorials you’d like to see this season feel free to share them as well! Thanks for watching! xoxo, Missy!
3 Fall Fishtail Braids Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 4 Bobby Pins
- Clear elastic band
- Hair band
- Medium-hold hairspray
3 Fall Fishtail Braids Instructions
Half Up Fishtail Braids:
- Step 1 / Start by parting the hair in the middle or slightly off-center.
- Step 2 / Pick up a small section of hair on the left side of the part and divide it into two halves.
- Step 3 / Take a small section from the right side, cross it under and add it into the left side.
- Step 4 / Then cross a small piece from the left side under to the right side.
- Step 5 / Now cross under a small section and pick up a new section of hair crossing both underneath to the left side.
- Step 6 / Then do the same thing with the left side, crossing a small section under, picking up a new section of hair and adding both into the right side.
- Step 7 /Repeat those steps until four new sections are brought into the braid.
- Step 8 / Then continue the fishtail braid down to the ends.
- Step 9 / Now go back over the braid and gently pull on the edges to make it wider and more full.
- Step 10 / Then criss cross two bobby pins over the ends so the braid doesn’t unravel.
- Step 11 / Now repeat those same steps and create a second fishtail braid on the other side of the head.
- Step 12 / Once both braids are done bring them together at the back of the head and tie them off with a clear elastic band.
Fishtail Crown Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start by creating a part on the right side.
- Step 2 / Pick up a section of hair on the heavy side of the part and split this into two halves for the braid.
- Step 3 / Take a small section of hair from the right half and cross it underneath, adding it into the left half.
- Step 4 / Then take a small piece from the left, cross it under and add it into the right.
- Step 5 / Now take a small piece from the right, cross it under to the left, pick up a new section of hair and cross it under as well adding it into the left side.
- Step 6 / Then cross a small piece from the left side under to the right, pick up a new section of hair and adding it into the right side as well.
- Step 7 / Repeat those steps continuing the dutch fishtail braid until it reaches the left ear.
- Step 8 / Once the braid reaches the ear switch your hands and continue the braid working around the back of the head, adding in hair from the top of the head and the nape of the neck.
- Step 9 / As the braid gets closer to the right ear finish adding all of the hair into the braid. This makes it easier to avoid getting those little bumps on the right side of the head.
- Step 10 / Once all of the hair is brought into the braid, then continue braiding down to the ends and criss cross two bobby pins over the bottom so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 11 / Then go back over the braid and pull on the edges to make it a little bigger.
- Step 12 / Now lay the braid across the top of the head and pin it in place with bobby pins.
Fishtail Ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by combining all of the hair together at the back of the head and tie it off with a hair band.
- Step 2 / Then hide the hairband by wrapping a small section of hair around it and securing the end with two bobby pins.
- Step 3 / Now divide the ponytail into two halves and begin a fishtail braid.
- Step 4 / So take a small section from the outside edge of the left half and crossing it over to the right half.
- Step 5 / Then cross a small section from the right half over to the left.
- Step 6 / Repeat those steps crossing small sections from one side over to the opposite side until reaching 3/4 of the way down the hair.
- Step 7 / Then go back over the braid and pull on the edges to make it wider and more full. The more you pull on the braid the more casual it’ll look.
- Step 8 / Now take a small section of hair and wrap it around the bottom of the braid.
- Step 9 / Then take a clear elastic band and wrap it over the end of the braid making sure to include the end of the wrapped piece and this will tie off the braid while simultaneously hiding the elastic band.
- Step 10 / Spray the style with a medium-hold hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.