Updos are so fun to wear on special occasions. With homecoming coming up soon, I thought it’d be fun to share another updo to help inspire you. This hairstyle may seem complicated but there are three basic parts to it so once you see how it’s broken down hopefully it’ll be a little easier to learn. Are you going to homecoming this year? How do you plan to style your hair? xo, Missy
Draped Fishtail Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 8-10 Bobby pins
- 2 Hair sectioning clips
- Hair band
- Medium-hold hairspray
Draped Fishtail Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by parting the hair on the right side.
- Step 2 / Pick up a section of hair on the heavy side of the part and divide it into two halves.
- Step 3 / Cross a small piece from the right side over to the left. Then cross a small piece from the left over to the right.
- Step 4 / Now cross small piece from the right over to the left and pick up a new section of hair crossing it over to the left side as well.
- Step 5 / Then cross a small piece from the left over to the right, pick up a new section of hair and cross it over to the left side as well.
- Step 6 / Repeat those steps until three new sections are added into the fishtail.
- Step 7 / Then braid the rest of the section to the bottom and criss-cross two bobby pins over the end so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 8 / Next divide out the hair on the sides of the head and clip them away to use later on.
- Step 9 / With the remaining hair at the back, combine it all together and tie it with a hair band. On the last wrap only pull the hair halfway through so it creates a loop.
- Step 10 / Then take sections of the loop and bring them up the head, pinning them in place with bobby pins.
- Step 11 / Take the end of the ponytail and loop this up to bun, tucking it into the hairband to form the bottom portion of the bun.
- Step 12 / Now take the fishtail braid and gently pull on the edges to make it bigger.
- Step 13 / Wrap the braid around the back of the head and pin it above the bun.
- Step 14 / With the hair remaining on the sides, create another fishtail french braid bringing in new sections of hair until all of the hair as been incorporated into the braid.
- Step 15 / Braid the rest of the section to the ends in a fishtail braid.
- Step 16 / Make the braid bigger by pulling on the edges.
- Step 17 / Then lay it over the left side of the bun and pin it in place.
- Step 18 / Set the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.