It’s officially summer and scorching hot here in Arizona! For today’s tutorial, I thought it’d be fun to share a hairstyle that is both heatless and great for second or third day hair. I don’t know about you but my hair seems to get more oily during the summer months and it’s way too hot to be using a curling iron or blow dryer often. I love this look because it’s great for both and would even work well on wet hair when you’re hanging out at the pool. Let me know your thoughts and I’d also love to hear of any other hairstyles or videos that you’d love to see! xo, Missy
Mohawk Dutch Braid Low Bun Supplies:
- Rattail comb
- 3 Clear elastic bands
- Hair band
- Medium-hold hairspray
Mohawk Dutch Braid Low Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by creating a part on the left side towards the back of the head and then down to the nape of the neck.
- Step 2 / Tie the bottom hair off to work with later.
- Step 3 / Create a second part on the right side down to the nape of the neck and tie off the bottom hair.
- Step 4 / Next pick up a section near the forehead and divide it into three pieces. I like to have the section in the front be one piece and then the other two right behind the front piece.
- Step 5 / Start the braid by crossing the right strand under the middle strand.
- Step 6 / Then cross the left strand under the middle strand.
- Step 7 / Now cross the right strand under the middle, pick up a new section of hair and cross it under and into the middle strand as well.
- Step 8 / Then cross the left strand under the middle, pick up a new section crossing it under the middle bringing it into the braid.
- Step 9 / Continue braiding the hair along this top section into a dutch braid, crossing the side strands under the middle strand while bringing new sections into the braid and working all the way down the back of my head to the nape of my neck.
- Step 10 / When all of the hair is brought in, braid a little further down and tie off the end of the braid with a clear elastic band.
- Step 11 / Let down the rest of the hair, combining it together at the nape of the neck.
- Step 12 / Remove the elastic from the end of the braid and unravel it.
- Step 13 / For the bun, take a hair band and wrap it halfway over the hair.
- Step 14 / Grip the middle of the hair with the thumb and forefinger and place the other three gripping the hair band.
- Step 15 / Then twist the hand outwards. Let go of the hair with the thumb and pop it into the hair band.
- Step 16 / Grab the base of the ponytail with the left hand and use the right hand to slide the hair band over the hair and off of the left hand.
- Step 17 / Pull on the edges of the bun to make it bigger.
- Step 18 / Tuck the ends back into the hairband to form another loop of the bun.
- Step 19 / Pull on the edges of the braid to make it fuller.
- Step 20 / Spray the style with hairspray and smooth down the sides.