Today I’m excited to be sharing how I create these double dutch fishtail braids; along with three different ways to wear them! I recently wore my hair in the low bun version and couldn’t wait to share a tutorial for it! This is such a great style for summer and the different styles can be worn for so many different occasions! Let me know which version is your favorite and where you’d wear it! xo, Missy
Double Dutch Fishtail Braids Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start this hairstyle by dividing off a section for the first braid, clipping the rest of the hair out of the way.
- Step 2 / Pick up a small section for the braid and divide it into three pieces.
- Step 3 / Begin by doing one stitch of a regular braid, crossing the right strand under the middle and then the left strand under the middle.
- Step 4 / Then combine the middle and right strand together so there are two sections for the fishtail braid.
- Step 5 / To begin the fishtail braid, take a small section from the right side and cross it under to the left side.
- Step 6 / Then pick up a new section of hair crossing it under to the left side as well.
- Step 7 / Now cross a small section from the left side under to the right, pick up a new section of hair and cross it under to the right side.
- Step 8 / Now repeat those steps continuing the braid until it reaches the left temple.
- Step 9 / Then continue the braid down to the ends without adding in any additional hair.
- Step 10 / Once the section is braided, go back over the braid, pulling on the edges, to make it wider and more full.
- Step 11 / Now criss-cross two bobby pins over the ends.
- Step 12 / Let down the back hair and divide out a new section for the second braid.
- Step 13 / Repeat the exact same steps and create a second dutch fishtail braid behind the first one.
- Step 14 / Wrap both braids around the back of the head and pin them in place with bobby pins.
- Step 15 / Finish off the style by adding a gold clip over the ends of the braids to hide the bobby pins.
Double Dutch Fishtail Braids Ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by combining all of the hair at the back of the head.
- Step 2 / Add the braids into the ponytail so they aren’t buried under other hair.
- Step 3 / Tie it all together with a hair band.
- Step 4 / Take a small section of hair and wrap it around the hair band securing it underneath with bobby pins.
Double Dutch Fishtail Braids Low Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by combining all of the hair together at the back of the head, adding the braids in last.
- Step 2 / Wrap a hair band once over the hair and then twist the band over the dominant hand.
- Step 3 / Spread the ponytail around the base of the ponytail and then wrap the hair band twice more over the hair.
- Step 4 / Pull on the edges of the bun until it’s really big and full.
- Step 5 / Tuck the ends left sticking out into the hair band at the top of the bun.
- Step 6 / Finish the style by pinning down any edges that are sticking out.