The half up pull thru braid; the braid that’s not really a braid, le faux braid. If you have a hard time with a regular three strand braid I highly recommend giving this a try. It’s such a cool concept and something that can transition into so many different looks and hairstyles. I have a bunch of different tutorials with this braid including a half up pictorial, french braid style, side braid, 3-strand version, and pull-thru bun updo. If you’ve already tried and loved this braid then what’s your favorite way to wear it? I’d love to know which version is your go-to!
- Rattail comb
- 5-7 clear elastic bands
- Medium-hold hairspray
- 1 1/4″ Curling iron
Half Up Pull Thru Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start by parting the hair on the right side.
- Step 2 / Then divide off a small section on the left side and lay it over my head and clip it out of the way for later.
- Step 3 / Pick up a new section of hair behind the first and tie it off with an elastic band.
- Step 4 / Let down the first section clipped away and split it into two equal halves.
- Step 5 / Wrap these two sections around the second section and then clip the second section out of the way.
- Step 6 / Combine the two split sections back together again. Divide off a new section of hair from the top of the head and tie it all together with another elastic band.
- Step 7 / Let down the first section, split it in half, wrap it around the second section and clip the second section up and out of the way.
- Step 8 / Combine the two split pieces and add in a new section of hair. Then tie it all together with another elastic band.
- Step 9 / Now repeat the same steps working towards the right side of the head.
- Step 10 / Once hair is brought in from the right side of the head then stop creating new sections and go back over the braid pulling on the edges to make them wider and more full.
- Step 11 / Then smooth down any flyaways with hairspray.