Now that summer is right around the corner I’ve been thinking of some new heatless hairstyles to feature. I recently wore my hair in this style and realized I didn’t have a tutorial for it. The one I do have that is slightly similar is a really elaborate hairstyle with a 4 strand waterfall braid and big elegant bun. I figured it’d be fun to show you a more “basic” everyday version of the style. I honestly feel like this hairstyle isn’t too exciting but hopefully you learned a few new techniques from it. Let me know what you think; I love to hear from you!
What I’m wearing: Open Stitch Sweater
Four Strand Braid Low Bun Supplies:
Four Strand Braid Low Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Start by creating a part on the right side.
- Step 2 / Then pick up a small section on the heavy side of the part for the braid.
- Step 3 / Divide this section into 4 pieces.
- Step 4 / I’m going to number the strands 1-4 starting with the strand closest to the hairline as number one.
- Step 5 / Take strand 4 and cross it under 3.
- Step 6 / Then cross 3 over 2.
- Step 7 / Cross 2 under 1.
- Step 8 / Now take strand 3 and cross it over 2. Those are the steps so now just repeat them while adding in new hair to the outside strands.
- Step 9 / So add in hair to strand four then cross it under 3.
- Step 10 / Cross 3 over 2 and 2 under 1.
- Step 11 / Add a new section into the new 2 strand, or add in hair to 1 before crossing it over 2.
- Step 12 / Now continue the braid until it’s about an inch above the ear. Then braid the section to the ends without adding in new hair.
- Step 13 / Criss-cross two bobby pins over the bottom so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 14 / Next divide off a small section on the right side of the head to add in later.
- Step 15 / Now combine the rest of the hair together in a low ponytail.
- Step 16 / Wrap a hair band over the hair and on the last wrap only pull the ponytail half way through to create a loop.
- Step 17 / Take small sections of hair from the loop, bring them up to the head, and pin them in place with bobby pins.
- Step 18 / Then combine the ends left sticking out, wrap them towards the hair band and tuck them in to form the bottom part of the bun.
- Step 19 / Next pick up the section on the right side that was left out. Twist it together, pull on the top a little bit to make it bigger and then lay it over the top of the bun. Wrap the ends around the side and pinning it in place with bobby pins.
- Step 20 / Now take the braid and gently pull on the sides to make it really wide and a lot bigger.
- Step 21 / Then lay it over the bun, wrapping it around the side and pin it in place with bobby pins.
- Step 22 / Set the style with a medium-hold hairspray.