Prom is nearly here and bridal season is right around the corner so I wanted to create a fun updo that is both elegant yet simple to recreate. Inspired by HairandMakeupbySteph, this style looks intricate with the wrapped pieces but is actually created with only three separate fishtails. I think once you see how it’s broken down you’ll love recreating the style for a special event or fun evening out. You can always change it up too by switching out the fishtail braids for regular braids. Whatever suits your fancy, I hope this style gives you a little inspiration the next time you feel like wearing your hair up.
Fishtail Wrapped Low Bun Supplies:
Fishtail Wrapped Low Bun Instructions:
- Step 1 / Comb through the hair to remove any tangles and part the hair on the right side.
- Step 2 / Divide off two sections of hair from the part down to the left and right ears, clipping off the forward sections.
- Step 3 / Divide the hair at the back into two sections and clip the top section out of the way.
- Step 4 / Wrap the bottom section into a ponytail, tying it off with a clear elastic band.
- Step 5 / Braid the ponytail into a regular fishtail braid by splitting the ponytail into two equal sections and crossing small sections from each side under to the opposite side.
- Step 6 / Gently pull on the edges of the braid and tie it off with a clear elastic band.
- Step 7 / Let down the hair at the crown and twist it together laying it right above the ponytail.
- Step 8 / Pin the twist against the head with several bobby pins.
- Step 9 / Braid this section into a fishtail braid, tying off the end with another elastic band.
- Step 10 / Let down the hair on the left side and braid this section into a fishtail french braid. Bring in hair close to the braid slowly working out towards the forehead to create the faux bang effect.
- Step 11 / Gently pull on the edges of the braid to make it fuller and tie it off with an elastic band.
- Step 12 / Clip the top braid at the back of the head out of the way.
- Step 13 / Take the bottom braid at the back of the had and fold it over itself horizontally before pinning it against the head.
- Step 14 / Let down the top braid and lay it over the bun, tucking the ends under itself before pinning it as well.
- Step 15 / Let down the hair pinned on the right side of the head and twist it together, bringing it towards the back of the head, draping it over the bun and around the left side before pinning it underneath the bun.
- Step 16 / Now take the last braid from the left side, lay it over the bun wrapping it around the right side and pin it underneath with bobby pins.
- Step 17 / Spray the style with hairspray and smooth down any flyaways.