Spring is here and I am so excited to be featuring three new hairstyles that go right along with the season! I recently posted this pic on instagram and got a resounding yes for a tutorial. I wanted to feature it with two other hairstyles so that you would have a couple more options for wearing any day of the week. I would love it if you’d leave me a comment letting me know which of the three is your favorite and I’ve got some great prom tutorials coming up so stay tuned!
3 Spring Hairstyles Supplies:
- Nume tapered curling wand – code SAVE50
- 7-8 Clear elastic bands
- 2-3 Bobby pins
- Flower embellishments – more options
- Medium-hold hairspray
Lace Braid and Fishtail Combo Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair and then part it on the right side.
- Step 2 / Pick up a triangle shaped section from the left corner of the forehead up to the part.
- Step 3 / Split the section into three smaller sections and do one stitch of a regular braid.
- Step 4 / Now cross the top strand over the middle and then the left strand over the middle.
- Step 5 / Pick up a section of hair, along the hairline, and add it into the braid.
- Step 6 / Braid the top portion of the braid as usual without adding in any extra hair.
- Step 7 / Continue bringing in small sections of hair into the braid until it reaches the top of the left ear.
- Step 8 / Braid the rest of the section to the bottom on a regular braid and tie it off with an elastic band.
- Step 9 / Bring the rest of the hair over the left shoulder and gather it into a low ponytail.
- Step 10 / Wrap the braid around the hair until reaching the end of the braid.
- Step 11 / Now tie off the ponytail with an elastic band making sure the end of the braid is included underneath the elastic band. This will hold the braid in place wrapped around the ponytail.
- Step 12 / Pull the ponytail tight, which will slide the braid up towards the nape of the neck, tightening it as well, and remove the elastic band from the end of the braid.
- Step 13 / Divide the ponytail into two equal sections and create a fishtail braid by crossing small sections of hair from one side over to the opposite side until it reaches the bottom.
- Step 14 / Loosen the sides of the braid to make it fuller and secure the end with another elastic band.
Half Up Fishtail French Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Prep the hair by curling it in small sections, away from the face, with the Nume tapered curling wand then part it on the right side.
- Step 2 / Pick up a small vertical slice along the part and split it into two small pieces.
- Step 3 / Begin a fishtail braid by crossing a small section from the left side over to the right side and a section from the right over the left.
- Step 4 / Now start incorporating small sections of hair into the braid adding it hair next to the braid and slowly working out to the hairline to create the “sweeping” effect.
- Step 5 / When the braid reaches the temple braid the rest of the section to the bottom in a regular fishtail braid.
- Step 6 / Take a small section of hair from the end of the braid and push the rest of the braid upwards to help make it easy to stretch and pull apart.
- Step 7 / Gently pull on the edges of the braid to loosen it and make it fuller then backcomb the ends so it doesn’t unravel.
- Step 8 / Wrap the braid around the back of the head and pin it against the head, a few inches away from the left ear.
- Step 9 / Lay a section of hair over the ends to hide them and set the style with hairstyle.
Topsy Tail Ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to remove any tangles.
- Step 2 / Divide off a section of hair at the top of the head at about the corners of the forehead, bringing the section to the back of the head slightly off center towards the left side.
- Step 3 / Tie off the section with a clear elastic band and then create a topsy tai by making a small gap above the elastic band and bring the section up through the gap, pulling it back down again so it hangs straight.
- Step 4 / Gently pull on the edges of the topsy tail to make them a little more distinctive.
- Step 5 / Pick up two new sections of hair, below the first topsy tail, tying them together towards the right side of the head and creating a second topsy tail.
- Step 6 / Continue creating topsy tails down the back of the head, alternating between the left and right sides of the head so they create a zig zag pattern.
- Step 7 / When the last topsy tail reaches the nape of the neck you can stop here but I decided to create one last one with two sections of hair from the ponytail.
- Step 8 / Spray the style with hairspray and smooth down any loose hairs.
- Step 9 / Optional: Embellish the style with little flower buds by sporadically pinning them throughout the topsy tails.