You’ve seen the pull-through braid and now it’s time to take it to the next level. This 3 strand or 3D pull through braid is definitely more advanced but the hard work pays off! This style looks both intricate and difficult but once you nail down the pattern you’ll be doing it in your sleep!
This style is inspired by Shelley from PrettyLittleBraids on instagram. I am obsessed with the edgy look and think it’d be perfect for sports or the gym because it’s held in place with a series of elastic bands. Easily one of those hairstyles that you do and immediately forget about because it stays in tight all day long. Double yes!
3 Strand Pull Through Braid Supplies:
3 Strand Pull Through Braid Instructions:
- Step 1 / Comb through the hair to remove any tangles, brushing the hair straight back from the hairline.
- Step 2 / Divide off a section of hair from the corners of the forehead towards the top of the head.
- Step 3 / Wrap this section with a clear elastic band.
- Step 4 / Divide off a new section of hair at the top of the ears up towards the crown of the head, tying this off with a second elastic band.
- Step 5 / With these two ponytails, take the first one and divide it into three sections.
- Step 6 / Divide the ponytail into two equal sections.
- Step 7 / Lay the middle section from the top ponytail down the middle of the second ponytail.
- Step 8 / Lay the right side section from the top ponytail underneath the right side section of the second ponytail.
- Step 9 / Lay the left side section from the top ponytail underneath the left side section of the second ponytail.
- Step 10 / Combine the three sections from the first ponytail back together.
- Step 11 / Pick up a new section of hair and combine it with the three sections of the first ponytail, tying them together with a new elastic band. This becomes the new “second ponytail.”
- Step 12 / Combine the two sections from the original second ponytail and this becomes the new “first ponytail.”
- Step 13 / Repeat steps 5-12, creating sections until all of the hair is brought into the braid.
- Step 14 / Continue the braid down to the ends.
- Step 15 / To finish the braid, cross the top two sections around the last elastic band. Then wrap one piece continually around the end of the braid. Tie off the ends with a clear elastic band, tightening it so it slides underneath the wrapped section.
- Step 16 / Gently pull on the edges of the braid, working up from the bottom, to make it fuller, puffing out the braid.
- Step 17 / Spray the style with hairspray to smooth down any flyaways.