I’ve received so many requests lately for more half up styles. I love this one because it’s soft and elegant while looking trickier to do than it actually is – the best combination. In this tutorial I am teaming up with HSI Professional to show you how I create my everyday curls. I only recently changed up my traditional routine for creating my curls and this new, simple trick makes them seem more effortless and modern.
The curling wand I am using in today’s tutorial is fast becoming my newest obsession. It comes with four ceramic tourmaline barrels, tapered, 3/4″, 1″, and 1 1/4″. I chose to use the 1″ barrel for this hairstyle because it creates a tighter wave that is still soft and lasts through to the next day.
I love switching between the 1″ and 1 1/4″ sizes the best and love that this set comes with both. Another feature I immediately noticed was the rubber grip on the handle. With other wands I am always accidentally turning it on and off while using it. Because of this grip, I didn’t have that problem once and it was such a relief! The rubber tip on the end was always really nice because I could press it against my palm and check the heat of the strand. I always rested it on my shoulder several times, haha! Needless to say, I didn’t need the protective glove and didn’t burn myself once!
The curling wand also has the option to change the heat settings which is an absolute must for me. I don’t like to curl my hair on a very hot setting because it can burn the hair. I always turn it down a couple click from the hottest setting so it’s healthier on my hair.
HSI loves you guys so much that they’re offering a sweet discount code to get 40% off any purchase with the code Missy40off. Hurry and grab it while it’s hot! Code expires on April 6th!
Easy Wrapped Half Up Style Supplies:
- Paddle brush
- HSI Professional Heat Protectant spray
- HSI Professional 1″ curling wand – also love these!
- 2 Hair sectioning clip
- 2-4 Bobby pins
- 1 Clear elastic band
- Firm-hold hairspray
Easy Wrapped Half Up Style Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by brushing through the hair to remove any tangles and spray it with a heat protectant spray.
- Step 2 / Split the hair at the top of the ears and clip off the top portion.
- Step 3 / Divide the remaining hair into a left and right side pulling each over the respective shoulders.
- Step 4 / Starting at the back, pick up a 1″ section of hair and wrap the section around the curling iron so it’s wrapped towards the face.
- Step 5 / Count to 4 and release the curl.
- Step 6 / Working towards the face, pick up a 1″ next to the previous one and wrap it around the wand so it’s wrapped away from the face.
- Step 7 / Continue curling the hair in this way, alternating between curling the section towards the face and away from the face. *I always curl the pieces along the hairline away from the face regardless of the pattern of curling.
- Step 8 / Let the hair down in horizontal sections, clipping off the top, and continue curling the hair, alternating the directions of the curls.
- Step 9 / With a part on the left side, divide off a section from the part down to the left ear and clip off the forward portion.
- Step 10 / Clip off a similar sized section on the right side of the head.
- Step 11 / Then divide off a section at the crown and tie it off with an elastic band.
- Step 12 / Let down the hair on the left side and divide off a triangle shaped section.
- Step 13 / Bring it around the back of the head, wrapping it over the hair elastic.
- Step 14 / Wrap the section underneath the elastic so it comes back out on the left side.
- Step 15 / Pin down the wrapped piece on the left side, hiding the bobby pin underneath the hair.
- Step 16 / Now let down the hair on the right side, separating off a triangle shaped piece and wrapping it around the back of the head.
- Step 17 / Lay it underneath the previously wrapped section
- Step 18 / Then wrap it underneath the hair elastic and back out to the right side.
- Step 19 / Pin down the piece with another bobby pin.
- Step 20 / Spray the style with a firm hold hairspray to set the style.