This hairstyle came about from two different hairstyles. I loved the idea of a mohawk style fishtail braid but the wrapped ponytail was another thing entirely. Regardless, I love how it all came together in the end and that it’s a little edgier than my typical tutorials. I ended up changing my sweater after filming to better match the vibe and wore this style out to run errands. It was definitely fun to change up my typical look for the day.
Fishtail Mohawk Ponytail Supplies:
- Paddle brush
- Light hold hairspray
- 1-2 Bobby pins
- Wide/Fine tooth comb
- 1 Clear elastic band
- Firm-hold hairspray
Fishtail Mohawk Ponytail Instructions:
Prep: For this particular style I started out with clean, dry hair that I had straightened with a flat iron. This helped ensure the braid would sit on top of the smooth hair and also to reduce the number of flyaways while braiding.
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to remove any tangles.
- Step 2 / Divide off a small triangular sized section of hair at the corners of the forehead to about 3″ back from the hairline.
- Step 3 / Twist the section together and pin it against the head, creating a small pompadour.
- Step 4 / Pick up a small section of hair behind the pompadour section and divide it into two halves.
- Step 5 / Cross a small section from the right section underneath to the left. Then a small section from the left, underneath to the right.
- Step 6 / Repeat the previous step and begin incorporating hair into each side of the braid.
- Step 7 / Continue creating a dutch fishtail braid down the center of the back of the head, bringing in small sections of hair close to the braid while leaving down the hair on the right and left sides of the head.
- Step 8 / When the braid reaches the bottom of the ears, braid the rest of the section in a fishtail braid by crossing small sections underneath to the opposite side without incorporating in any extra pieces.
- Step 9 / Use a wide/fine tooth comb to gently back comb the bottom of the braid to keep it from coming unraveled.
- Step 10 / Pick up two sections of hair on both sides of the head, from the braid down to each ear.
- Step 11 / Bring these two side pieces towards the back of the head and lay the left side over the right side, crossing them over the braid.
- Step 12 / Then wrap the piece from the right side around all of the hair, going underneath, and up to the right side of the head.
- Step 13 / Now do the same thing with the hair on the left, wrapping it counter-clock wise around the hair, creating a criss-crossing pattern.
- Step 14 / Wrap each piece once more around the ponytail so they meet underneath the hair at the nape of the neck.
- Step 15 / Tie the two sections together with a clear elastic band and pull it tight against the head so it stays secured all day long.
- Step 16 / Spray the style with a firm hold hairspray and smooth a hand over the right and left sides to reduce flyaways and loose hair.