This Braided and Knotted Updo is a spinoff from the Braid Embellished Updo. The two hairstyles are similar in some ways but done differently in a few places to make each one unique. I love the creativity behind this hairstyle and the fact that it incorporates so many different braiding techniques. I have… a personal obsession with intricate updos and love seeing them come together section by section. This hairstyle looks complicated but it easy to recreate for the avid braider. A perfect way to wow the crowd at your next holiday part.
Braided and Knoted Updo supplies:
Braided and Knotted Updo Instructions:
- Step 1 / Brush through the hair to smooth out any tangles then create a part on the right side.
- Step 2 / Divide off a section of hair from the part down to the left ear, clipping off the back portion.
- Step 3 / Divide the front section left out into two vertical halves and clip off the back section.
- Step 4 / With the forward section, along the hairline, create a waterfall braid similar to this tutorial.
- Step 5 / Let down the back half previously clipped away and braid it into a fishtail french braid, incorporating a waterfall strand from the previous braid in every other section.
- Step 6 / With the back section, divide off a small section at the crown.
- Step 7 / Gently roll the hair together towards the right to create volume at the crown.
- Step 8 / Pin the section in place to secure it.
- Step 9 / Next divide off a small section of hair above the right ear, clipping it out of the way, and the left ear, clipping it as well.
- Step 10 / Separate off a 2″ section of hair at the back of the hair underneath the pinned section.
- Step 11 / Twist the section into a knot using the same technique from this tutorial.
- Step 10 / Slide bobby pins around the edges of the knot to secure it in place.
- Step 12 / Continue creating knots until all the hair from the back section is pinned.
- Step 13 / Take the section on the left side of the head and twist it all together.
- Step 14 / Lay it over the knotted section at the back and pin down the edges to secure it.
- Step 15 / Let down the section on the right side. Create a braid and loosely pull the edges apart.
- Step 16 / Wrap it over the top of the bun and secure it in place.
- Step 19 / Finally, take the braid from the left side, wrap it over the top of the bun and pin down the end.
- Step 20 / Set the style with a firm hold hairspray.