This spiral braided ponytail is such a fun way to spice up your ponytail. I am such a fan of ponytails so finding new creative ways to style them is one of my favorites. This hairstyle has been done before by many others but I wanted to feature my own version because I know it’s done in a slightly different way. Give it a try, tell me what you think in the comments below and wow your friends at your next movie night or Sunday brunch!
If you love this look then you will love these other ponytail tutorials as well!
Spiral Braided Ponytail Supplies:
Spiral Braided Ponytail Instructions:
- Step 1 / Begin by brushing the hair straight back from the hairline.
- Step 2 / Combine all the hair together at the back of the crown, in a high ponytail, and tie it off with a hair band.
- Step 3 / Separate off a 1/2″ section of hair from underneath the ponytail and wrap it around the hair band until you reach the end of the piece.
- Step 4 / Slide two bobby pins over the end of the wrapped section, pushing the pins in underneath the hair band against the head to hide them.
- Step 5 / Divide off a 1/2″ section of hair on the right side of the ponytail next to the wrapped section.
- Step 6 / Separate this section into three equal pieces for the braid.
- Step 7 / Begin a regular braid by crossing the right section over the middle then the left section over the middle.
- Step 8 / Create a second stitch, crossing the right side then the left side over the middle section.
- Step 9 / Pick up a small section of hair from the ponytail and cross it over the middle section as well, incorporating it into the braid.
- Step 10 / Cross the right strand over the middle and then the left, then bring in another small section of hair, incorporating it into the braid.
- Step 11 / Continue bringing in small sections, crossing over the ponytail until it reaches the left side.
- Step 12 / Create 3-4 stitches of a regular braid, without adding in extra hair, then bring the braid underneath the ponytail to the right side again.
- Step 13 / Repeat the previous steps, continuing the braid around the ponytail a second time, bringing in small pieces of hair.
- Step 14 / When the braid reaches the left side again, wrap it underneath the ponytail to the right side again and repeat the steps again, continuing the braid.
- Step 15 / Once you reach the end of the piece of hair, wrap it once more around the end of the ponytail and tie it off with a clear elastic band.
- Step 16 / Spray the ponytail with a medium or firm holding hairspray and smooth down flyaways.